Mach No. 1 Mine
Mach No. 1 Mine is an underground coal mine, operated by Mach Mining, LLC, a subsidiary of Foresight Energy, producing 5.1 million short tons per annum, near Marion, Illinois, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
- MSHA ID: 1103141
- Start year: 2005
- Operator: Mach Mining, LLC
- Controller: Foresight Energy
- Location: 16468 Liberty School Rd, Marion, Illinois, United States
- GPS coordinates: 37.838678, -88.829533
- Production (short tons): 5.1
- Type of coal: Bituminous (Thermal)
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: one longwall, two continuous miners
- Number of employees: 165
- Recoverable reserves: 358.5 million tons
- Mine Status: Operating
In February 2006 the roof of the mine collapsed, and operations were halted by the Mine Safety and Health Administration until the mine was "deemed safe to re-enter" by inspectors. In March 2006 the Secretary of Labor issued citations asserting Mach Mining violated mandatory safety standards, which the company contested, and the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission dismissed two citations but upheld one.
As of November 2009 the mine is awaiting approval of its submitted ventilation and roof-control plan to resume full operations.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Illinois and coal
- Proposed coal mines
EIA Major U.S. Coal Mines: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/coal/page/acr/table9.html
The Illinois Coal Industry Statutory Mandated Report 2008 an industry report containing information on Illinois mines.
- Foresight Energy, Operations, Company Website, accessed June 2020
- "MSHA won't allow Mach Mine to reopen until safe" The Southern.com, September 13, 2007
- "Mach Mining v. Secretary of Labor" Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission Website, decided on October 29, 2007
- "Southern Ill. coal mine subject of hearing" Chicago Tribune, November 4, 2009