Moheshkhali FLNG Terminal (Petrobangla)
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Moheshkhali FLNG Terminal is a floating storage regasification unit (FSRU) liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal off the coast of southwest Chittagong, Bangladesh. Also known as MFLNG, it is Bangladesh's first import LNG terminal.
The below satellite image shows the location of the terminal offshore Bangladesh's Moheshkhali Island in the Bay of Bengal.
- Owner: Excelerate Energy L.P.
- Parent: Petrobangla
- Location: Moheshkhali Island, Cox's Bazar District, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 21.25, 91.59 (approximate)
- Capacity: 3.8 mtpa, 0.5 bcfd
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2018
- Financing: Loans totalling US$102.5 million provided by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), CDC Group, Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft, FMO and the Japan International Cooperation Agency, US$53.9 million in equity from IFC and Excelerate Energy
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
On July 18, 2016, Petrobangla, the state-owned Bangladesh Oil, Gas & Mineral Corporation, signed a deal with Texas-based Excelerate Energy for construction of Bangladesh's first LNG terminal—a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU)—at Moheshkhali Island in the Bay of Bengal.
In August 2018, the terminal entered into commercial operation, becoming Bangladesh's first LNG import terminal. The new terminal enables Petrobangla to procure LNG to increase natural supply to the country by 20 percent. Excelerate will own and operate the terminal for 15 years, after which the company will transfer ownership to Petrobangla.
It was reported in August 2021 that Excelerate Energy had sent a proposal to Petrobangla to increase its FSRU capacity to meet the rising demand for gas in Bangladesh. By replacing the existing FSRU with a new one by 2023, Excelerate is looking to increase the baseload regasification capacity of the terminal to 0.63 bcfd from the present 0.5 bcfd.
Articles and resources
- Excelerate Energy Commissions Bangladesh’s First LNG Import Terminal Excelerate Energy, Aug. 2018.
- GIIGNL 2021 Annual Report, accessed May 5, 2021
- Moheshkhali Floating LNG Excelerate Energy, accessed December 2019.
- Moheshkhali Floating LNG Import Terminal PPP, IJGlobal, accessed Jun. 3, 2020
- "Moheshkhali to have largest LNG plant" Bangladesh Post, Aug 3, 2017.
- "Bangladesh's First LNG Import Terminal Commissioned", The Maritime Executive, Aug. 23, 2018
- Azizur Rahman, "Excelerate Energy plans to raise baseload regasification capacity of Bangladesh FSRU", S&P Global, Aug. 6, 2021