Nasik MAHAGENCO Thermal Power Station
Nasik Thermal Power Station is a 910-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Maharashtra, India.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Eklahare village.
Nasik Thermal Power Station is an existing 910 megawatt (MW) coal plant in Maharashtra, operated by Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (Mahagenco).
It consists of five units:
- Unit 1 - 140 MW - 1970
- Unit 2 - 140 MW - 1972
- Unit 3 - 210 MW - 1979
- Unit 4 - 210 MW - 1980
- Unit 5 - 210 MW - 1981
660 MW Expansion
Mahagenco is planning to install a 660 MW supercritical unit at the same location as the existing plant. Water for the project was approved in January 2011. The project has been assured supply of coal from Mahanadi coal blocks by MahaGuj Collieries. The Terms of Reference for the project were received from the Ministry of Environment and Forests in September 2011, and the company said an Environmental Impact Assessment was in progress.
The state of Maharashtra will contribute 20% of the Rs 4,390 crore cost of the project. The state will aso be the guarantor for raising the remaining funds from various lending institutions.
In August 2020 it was reported Maharashtra's Minister for Energy, Nitin Raut, had rejected lobbying by local members of parliament for the construction of the proposed 660 MW unit to replace old units at the plant. Raut said the state government had decided to pursue renewable energy projects only.
Project Details for 660 MW Expansion
Sponsor: Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (Mahagenco)
Location: Eklahare village, Nashik taluk, Nasik district, Maharashtra
Coordinates: 19.9817, 73.8896 (exact)
Capacity: 660 MW
Projected in service:
Coal Source: Mahanadi coal bocks from MahaGuj Collieries
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: 20% Maharashtra state; remainder loans guaranteed by state
Permits and applications:
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, June 15, 2011
- Terms of Reference Extension, India MoEF, December 3, 2014
- EIA, 2014
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Nasik Coal Power Station India, Global Energy Observatory, accessed February 2012
- "Future Projects (13940 MW)," Mahagenco, November 19, 2011
- "Maharashtra to float global tender for power project," Industry Monitor, November 14, 2011
- Terms of Reference Extension, India MoEF, December 3, 2014.
- EIA, Mahagenco, 2014
- Ashish, Roy (August 28, 2020). "No new thermal power units in state, says Raut". Times of India.