North-West Oil Pipeline Network
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
North-West Oil Pipeline Network is a system of two interconnected oil pipelines in northwestern Germany operated by Nord-West Ölleitung GmbH.
The North-West Oil Pipeline network comprises two interconnected pipelines :
- the NWO (Nord-West Oelleitung), and
- the NDO (Norddeutsche Oelleitung).
Both pipelines originate at NWO GmbH's Jade Bay oil terminal in Wilhelmshaven, Niedersachsen.
The NWO pipeline runs south from Wilhelmshaven to the Shell refinery in Wesseling, Nordrhein-Westfalen, passing through the BP refinery in Lingen, the Ruhröl and BP refineries in Gelsenkirchen, and a pair of pumping stations in Ochtrup and Ostenwalde. 
Project Details: NWO
- Owner: NWO (Nord-West Ölleitung GmbH)
- Parent companies: Ruhröl GmbH (33.7%), BP (25.6%), Shell (20.4%), Oilinvest Group (20.3%)
- Current capacity: 328,000 barrels per day (16.3 million tonnes per annum)
- Length: 391 km
- Diameter: 28 inches
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 1958
Project Details: NDO
- Owner: NDO (Norddeutschen Oelleitungsgesellschaft mbH)
- Parent companies: Oilinvest (Netherlands) B.V. (100%)
- Current capacity: 161,000 barrels per day (8 million tonnes per annum)
- Length: 142 km
- Diameter: 22 inches (first 136 km), 34 inches (remaining 6 km)
- Status: Operating
- Start Year:
The NWO (North-West Oil Pipeline) was commissioned by Nord-West Ölleitung GmbH in 1958 to deliver crude oil to refineries in the Ems and Rhine-Ruhr regions in Germany, making it the first-long-range crude oil pipeline in Europe. The NWO pipeline measures 28 inches in diameter and is 391 kilometers long, inclusive of pipeline branches. It has a total instantaneous capacity of 142,000 m3 and a transport capacity of 16.3 million tonnes per annum (328,000 barrels per day).
Nord-West Ölleitung GmbH later took over the operations of the NDO (North German Oil Pipeline), a second long-range pipeline with a capacity of 8 million tonnes per annum (161,000 barrels per day). The NDO runs 142 kilometers between Wilhelmshaven and the Holborn refinery in Hamburg.
Articles and resources
- Company, NWO, accessed October 2017
- Nord-West Ölleitung, accessed June 2020.
- "NWO - Pipeline information". NWO (Nord-West Oelleitung). Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- "Nord-West Oelleitung". Wikipedia. Retrieved October 3, 2020.
- "NWO - Facts and Figures". NWO (Nord-West Oelleitung). Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- Long-range pipelines, NWO, accessed October 2017
- "Norddeutsche Oelleitung". Wikipedia. Retrieved October 3, 2020.