Persian AMG LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Persian AMG LNG Terminal is an LNG terminal in Bushehr Province, Iran. There have been no development updates on over two years and the project is presumed to be shelved.
- Owner: Arian Mahtaab Gostar (AMG)
- Location: Tombak Port, Asaluyeh County, Bushehr Province, Iran
- Coordinates: 27.476111, 52.6075 (approximate)
- Capacity: 2 mtpa, 0.29 bcfd
- Status: Shelved
- Type: Export
- Start Year: 2021
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Persian AMG LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Bushehr Province, Iran.
South Pars/North Field
Iran and Qatar own the South Pars/North Field, the world's largest natural gas field. This field plays a central role in Qatar and Iran foreign and domestic policy.
Iran's South Pars gas field is one of the biggest gas fields in the world. Its development was stalled by years of Western sanctions beginning in 1979. The public justification for the sanctions was Iran's bid for nuclear weapons.  Economic sanctions delayed Iran's oil and gas technological development substantially. The Qatar side of the field could export LNG by ship, while Iran remains unable to. As of 2017, Iran lacked the capability to freeze its natural gas into LNG in order to load onto tanker ships for export. Iran aimed to increase gas output to 1 trillion cubic meters by 2018. In 2012, before sanctions, its output was at 160.5 billion cubic meters.
In 2017 the French Owned Total signed a 20-year contract with the National Iranian Oil Company to develop phase 11 of South Pars. It become the first major Western oil company to sign an energy agreement with Iran's sanctions eased.
Articles and resources
- Persian LNG Terminal, Company, accessed April 2017
- Susan Kurdli,The energy factor in the GCC crisis Al Jazeera, July 28, 2017.
- Bate Felix, France's Total seeks stake in $4 billion Iranian gas field project Reuters, March 17, 2017.
- Juan Cole, Is the Saudi Boycott of Qatar Driving It into the Arms of Iran? The Nation, July 28, 2017.
- Oleg Vukmanovic and Bate Felix Geoscience warns of supply issues for 20-year LNG contracts Reuters, February 27, 2017.