Porto Norte Fluminense LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Porto Norte Fluminense LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG Terminal in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The proposed LNG terminal would be located 7 km offshore from São Francisco de Itabapoana, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Owner: Porto Norte Fluminense S.A.
- Parent company: Porto Norte Fluminense S.A.
- Location: 7 km offshore from São Francisco de Itabapoana, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -21.514933, -40.978918 (approximate)
- Capacity: 21 million cubic meters per day
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The proposed LNG import and regasification terminal is part of the Porto Norte Fluminense mega-project, which is being developed on the Atlantic coast of Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil. The project consists of an onshore industrial port in the municipality of São Francisco de Itabapoana, connected by a 7-kilometer pipeline to an offshore complex that will include support facilities for oil and gas exploration, oil storage tanks, and an oily water treatment plant in addition to the LNG terminal.
The terminal will include an FSRU (floating storage and regasification unit) in a ship-to-ship configuration. with a capacity of 21 million cubic meters per day. Natural gas from the terminal will be transported to shore via pipeline, where it will fuel two new power plants with a combined capacity of 3.4 GW -- Porto Norte Fluminense I power station and Porto Norte Fluminense II power station -- that will be built as part of the same project.
A preliminary license for the project was granted in 2018. Further development of the LNG terminal will likely depend on the outcome of Brazil's 2021 energy auctions, where the the port's two proposed gas-fired power plants will compete for electricity generation contracts.
Articles and resources
- "Sobre Nós – Localização". Porto Norte Fluminese. Retrieved 2021-04-27.
- "Relatório de Impacto Ambiental RJ-224: Parque Termoelétrico Porto Norte Fluminense" (PDF). Squalo Ecologia. July 2020.
- "Terminais de GNL no Brasil (pp 23-24)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). October 2020.
- "Porto Norte Fluminese – Projeto industrial voltado para a produção de energia termoelétrica". Porto Norte Fluminense (in português). Retrieved 2021-04-27.