Presidente Médici Candiota power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Brazil and coal|
President Medici (Candiota) power station is a 350-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. An additional 446 MW of capacity were retired in 2017.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Candiota, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
The first phase of construction terminated in 1974 with the opening of Units 1 and 2; a second phase, encompassing Units 3 & 4, was completed in 1986, and a third, more significant expansion (also known as Phase C) undertaken with cooperation from the Chinese government resulted in the opening of Unit 5 in 2010, nearly doubling the plant's output. 
In 2017, Brazil's national energy agency ANEEL ordered the indefinite shutdown of Units 3 & 4 pending compliance with Brazilian environmental regulations. In February 2018 it was reported that ANEEL had also shut down Units 1 & 2 as of the end of 2017 and that Units 1-4 were now retired due to problems with their reliability and the government's unwillingness to extend their environmental license.
Unit 5 was shut down in December 2018 for extensive maintenance work to address equipment wear caused by the high ash local coal that fuels the plant, with operations expected to resume in March 2019. Current energy contracts for Unit 5 remain in effect through December 2024. As of early 2020, plant sponsor CGTEE was reportedly considering plans to enter Candiota Unit 5 in Brazil's 2020 A-5 energy auction in hopes of extending the plant's life span.
- Sponsor: Cia Geração Térmica Energia Elétrica
- Parent company: Electrobras
- Location: Candiota, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Coordinates: -31.5514, -53.6828 (exact)
- Unit 1: Retired (1974-2017)
- Unit 2: Retired (1974-2017)
- Unit 3: Retired (1986-2017)
- Unit 4: Retired (1986-2017)
- Unit 5: Operating (2010)
- Gross Capacity:
- Unit 1: 63MW
- Unit 2: 63MW
- Unit 3: 160MW
- Unit 4: 160MW
- Unit 5: 350MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2010
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Candiota mine
- Source of financing: China Development Bank, BNP Paribas
Articles and resources
- Termelétrica a carvão da Eletrobras encerra operação no Rio Grande do Sul, Globo, Feb. 26, 2018
- "Company website,", CGTEE, 2014.
- "Despacho da Aneel formaliza suspensão da Fase B,", Jornal Minuano, June 19, 2017.
- "Candiota 3 voltará a gerar eletricidade em março". Jornal do Comércio. January 30, 2019.
- "Candiota 3 pode participar de leilão de energia". Jornal do Comércio. March 4, 2020.