Qua Iboe Power Plant
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Qua Iboe Power Plant is a proposed 540-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. It is also referred to as QIPP.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station next to the Qua Iboe Terminal in Kwa Ibo, Ibeno LGA, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
The project has been in the works since 2009. Although it will be designed in a combined cycle gas turbine configuration, the gas turbine generators will be capable of operating in simple cycle or combined cycle mode.
In October 2017, Mobil Producing Nigeria Limited (MPN) and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) announced they will supply gas to the power plant from the NNPC/MPN joint venture offshore facilities, which will be built next to the Qua Iboe Terminal.
In 2018, cashflow and infrastructure problems hit the project, likely delaying its opening. In addition, in an uncomfirmed report, initial investor Dangote Group pulled out. Problems included "decaying infrastructure, mounting debts, low tariffs for electricity and a dilapidated government-owned grid that would collapse if all the country’s power generators operated at full tilt."
In early 2019, QIPP was to get an injection of $1.7 billion from foreign investors, including Globeleq, International Finance Corporation, African Development Bank, and ExxonMobil.
In December of 2020 the future of the project remained uncertain due to financing and PPA roadblocks - the commissioning date was pushed to 2025.
- Sponsor: Qua Iboe Power Plant Ltd. (QIPPL)
- Parent company: Globaleq, Black Rhino
- Location: Kwa Ibo, Ibeno LGA, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- Coordinates: 4.548651, 8.009532 (exact)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 540 MW
Articles and Resources
- Qua Iboe Power Plant Ltd takes ownership of power project, ExxonMobil corporate news, Oct 26, 2017
- Qua Iboe Power Plant, ILF website, accessed Dec 3, 2019
- Qua Iboe Power Project, World Bank's MIGA website, accessed Dec 3, 2019
- Nnadozie Okere, Qippl Signs Agreement With Akwa Ibom Communities, The Nigerian Voice, Jul 11, 2018
- Alexis Akwagyiram, Paul Carsten, Exclusive: Nigerian energy sector's crippling debts delay next power plant, Reuters, Dec 21, 2018
- Ifeanyi Onuba, Foreign investors to inject $1.7bn in Qua Iboe power project, Punch, Jan 9, 2019.
- EXCLUSIVE: Qua Iboe power project stalls as FG weighs liabilities, The Cable, Dec 3, 2020
- US investment firm, Blackstone, is selling its African subsidiary Black Rhino Group, Pulse - Nigeria, Feb 8, 2019
- QUA IBOE POWER PLANT (QIPP), Globaleq, accessed May 24, 2021
- Roseline Okere, Promoter of $1.1 billion Qua Iboe signs agreement on community development projects, The Guardian, Jul 13, 2018
- Nigeria: Qua Iboe power project taps financing through PPA, Gas to Power Journal, Feb 7, 2018