Salina Cruz LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Salina Cruz LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Mexico.
The terminal would be located on Mexico's Pacific coast, near Salina Cruz in the state of Oaxaca.
- Owner: Golar
- Location: Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, Mexico
- Coordinates: 16.161733, -95.195759 (approximate)
- Capacity: 2.2 mtpa
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Export
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The project was initially proposed by Golar and was intended to deploy a Golar owned and operated Floating LNG storage and production unit to convert the Mexican feed gas to LNG for export to the Pacific markets. The proposed unit aimed to produce approximately 2.2 Mtpa and was expected to begin operations in 2Q 2018. As of February 2020 there have been no development updates on the Golar owned project and the project is not listed on the company website as of 2021.
In October 2020, the Mexican government revived plans for a LNG facility in the same area that would process gas brought in from Mexico's Gulf coast via an expansion of the existing Jaltipan-Salina Cruz gas pipeline. Gas for the project would theoretically come from Texas via the recently completed Sur de Texas-Tuxpan gas pipeline or from domestic production by Mexico's state oil company Pemex; however, there is significant local opposition to the project, and some analysts have deemed it unfeasible due to insufficient domestic production, incomplete pipeline infrastructure, and the high cost of importing gas from the United States.
Articles and resources
- "Golar LNG". www.golarlng.com. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "La 4T revive el proyecto gasero que Peña Nieto dejó inconcluso en el Istmo; advierten resistencias". El Universal Oaxaca. October 14, 2020.
- "Mapa interactivo: Corredor del Istmo de Tehuantepec". PODER (Proyecto sobre Organización, Desarrollo, Educación e Investigación). Retrieved 2021-01-28.
- "Salina Cruz LNG Export Project Said Unfeasible Under Current Conditions - Natural Gas Intelligence". Natural Gas Intelligence. 2020-10-14. Retrieved 2021-05-12.