Scarborough LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Scarborough LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Western Australia, Australia.
- Parent: Woodside Energy 75%, BHP Billiton 25%
- Location: Onslow, Pilbara, Western Australia, Australia
- Coordinates: -21.633333, 115.116667 (approximate)
- Capacity: 7 mtpa, 1 bcfd
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Export
- Start Year: 2024
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Scarborough LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Western Australia, Australia. In March 2019 Woodside Energy acquired ExxonMobil's 75% share in the project for A$444 million. In January 2019 Woodside awarded four contracts for front-end engineering design activities for the project. In March 2020, Macquarie Wealth Management warned that a prolonged collapse in oil prices could result in delays to the Scarborough LNG development. A subsequent report that month by EnergyQuest found that the project could be delayed as a result of the impact of COVID-19 on travel, trade, energy prices, and gas companies.
In March 2020, Woodside announced that it was delaying the final investment decision for the Scarborough LNG Terminal as part of a package of spending cutbacks estimated at US$32 billion it had been compelled to make owing to its plunging stock-market value brought about by turmoil in the oil and gas markets which has been exacerbated by the global coronavirus pandemic.
Articles and resources
- Scarborough LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- Woodside takes over Scarborough from Exxon. FID in 2020, Offshore Energy Today, Mar. 29, 2019
- Australia’s Woodside awards Scarborough contracts, LNG World News, Jan. 16, 2019
- Oil Search halts sale talks, cuts spending as global prices collapse Sydney Morning Herald, March 18, 2020
- COVID-19 could delay major LNG projects, Business News, Mar. 6, 2020
- $32 Billion In Australian Oil And Gas Work Deferred Till Markets Improve, Forbes, Mar. 27, 2020