Shanwei Haifeng CCS power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Shanwei Haifeng CCS power station (华润电力海丰公司) is a 2,100-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Guangdong Province, China.
The photo below shows the plant site in Haifeng County, Shanwei Prefecture, Guangdong Province.
Background on Units 1-2
China Resources is currently building a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 2,100 MW in Guangdong Province. The plant is scheduled to be completed in 2014. The units were completed in 2015.
The company was planning to build two additional 1,000-MW coal-fired units. The new units, units 3 and 4, have been identified as the location of a carbon capture and storage demonstration project, described as follows:
- On 27 June 2013, the Development and Reform Commission of Guangdong Province (Guangdong’s DRC) held its first CCUS demonstration project coordination meeting, in which it set up a plan for CCUS demonstrations. China Resources Power was chosen as the leading organization for Guangdong CCUS demonstration, specifically with Haifeng Units 3 and 4 (2×1000 MW expansion project) as the first Guangdong CCUS demonstration project (providing a full-scale CCS ready interface installation scheme for the feasibility study and design stages).
- The application of capture facilities would capture and compress 1 million tonnes of CO2 emissions from Haifeng Unit 3 from a slip stream of flue gas. The purity of the CO2 prior to transport would be 95 per cent. The construction of the carbon capture facilities is expected to start in February 2016 and to be completed in August 2018.
- Any CO2 captured from the power plant would be injected in a CO2 storage site in a deep saline formation in the South China Sea for permanent storage or for CO2 enhanced hydrocarbon recovery, in fields operated by the China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC). The project team has found two candidate storage sites approximately 90 km / 56 miles and 150 km / 93 miles south of the China Resources Power (Haifeng) project. A full feasibility study was started in May 2014 and is expected to be completed in April 2015. A front end engineering design (FEED) study is expected to start in May 2015.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
- Sponsor: China Resources Power Holdings
- Parent Company: China Resources
- Location: Haifeng County, Shanwei Prefecture, Guangdong Province, China
- Coordinates: 22.7545453, 115.0419938 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 2,100 MW (Units 1&2: 1,050 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical, CCS
- Start year: 2015
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "亚洲首个多技术开放国际碳捕集技术测试平台项目投产," 广东院, 2019/5/17
- "华润电力海丰电厂",海丰网, 2011-11-7
- [华润海丰电厂发电机组工程进入设备安装高峰", 海丰民生网, 2014-5-13
- "华润海丰电厂项目完成总工程量30%", 中国揭东新闻网, 2013-10-24
- "海丰项目1号机组顺利通过168小时试运行," CR Power, 2015-05-15
- "China Resources Power Haifeng Integrated Carbon Capture and Sequestration Demonstration," Global CCS Institute, accessed December 2014
- "华润海丰碳捕集测试平台项目合同签署--正式进入工程实施阶段"Guangdong CCUS Center,2017-09-12