Shenhua Jiujiang power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Shenhua Jiujiang power station (神华国华九江发电厂) is a 2,104-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Jiangxi Province, China.
An additional 2,104 MW is proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Liusi Town, Hukou County.
Background on Project
Project suspended, then revived
July 2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017 China's National Energy Administration (NEA) postponed or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling nearly 107 gigawatts (GW). 114 coal units totaling 65 GW are postponed for consideration until after the end of the 13th 5-year plan, in 2020. In addition, 71 coal units totaling nearly 42 GW were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. NEA said its goal is to eventually suspend or halt 150 GW of coal capacity during the 13th 5-year plan (2016-2020).
Shenhua Jiujiang power station Units 1-2 are among the postponed coal-burning units.
September 2017: Suspension lifted
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). Shenhua Jiujiang power station was no longer on the list, suggesting the plant is not suspended.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2018: project commissioned
2019: Expansion proposed
Plans for an additional two units, units 3-4 of 1,052 MW each, appear in the Jiangxi Province Development Plan of the Railway Economic Belt (2019-2025), released in October 2019.
On August 28, 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
- Sponsor: Shenhua Guohua Elec Power Corp Jiangxi Branch
- Parent company: National Energy Investment Group
- Location: Liusi Town, Hukou County, Jiujiang Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China
- Coordinates: 29.826619, 116.375973 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-2), Announced (Units 3-4)
- Gross capacity:
- Operating: 2,104 MW (Units 1 & 2: 1,052 MW)
- Planned: 2,104 MW (Units 3 & 4: 1,052 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Start year: 2018 (Units 1 & 2)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "神华江西九江电厂新建项目获得国家能源局路条", 国务院国有资产监督管理委员会, 2013-01-16
- "神华国华九江电厂项目推进政企联席会议召开", 中国湖口网, 2014-03-26
- "中国神华能源股份有限公司关于江西神华九江电厂新建工程项目获得核准的公告," 证券时报网, 2014年12月12日
- "江西神华九江电厂新建项目环境影响报告书"神华国华九江发电有限责任公司, 2013年8月
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "国华九江电厂1号机组首次并网发电成功," 中国电力新闻网, 2018/2/8
- "江西神华国华九江电厂机组新建工程2号机组首次并网一次成功," 中国电力化工网, 2018-03-02
- "国华九江电厂新建工程竣工 - 中国电力建设集团," PowerChina, July 31, 2018
- "江西省人民政府关于印发江西省高铁经济带发展规划（2019-2025年）的通知," Jiangxi government, 2019-10-08
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage". Reuters. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company". Bloomberg News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017