Springfield coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Springfield coal project is a proposed coal mine near Vereeniging, in Gauteng, South Africa.
The map below shows the approximate location of the Springfield coal project.
According to Canyon Coal's website, the project has an estimated life of approximately 36 years, based on a ROM production of approximately 600 000 t/m. Additionally, the mining right, environmental authorisation, and water use licence applications have been submitted.
The project is supposed to "go ahead" in 2021, according to a December 2019 Polity article.
- Sponsor: Canyon Coal
- Parent Company: Menar
- Location: Near Vereeniging, Municipality of Emfuleni, District of Sedibeng, in Gauteng Province.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.6312467, 27.8156228 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 7.2 Mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: opencast mine 
- Start Year: 2021
- Source of Financing:
Articles and Resources
- "Menar’s R7bn coal project pipeline adds 5 600 jobs," "Creamer Media's Mining Weekly," December 3, 2019.
- "Projects," "Canyon Coal website," accessed August 2020.
- "Menar’s R7bn coal project pipeline adds 5 600 jobs," "Polity website," December 3, 2019.