XPCC Hongxing power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
XPCC Hongxing power station (新疆兵团红星发电公司大南湖电厂), previously known as XPCC Ruihong power station, (新疆兵团瑞虹煤电项目) is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Hami (Kumul) Prefecture, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. While google maps (as of June 2018) does not show any development, Planet satellite images show the project is almost complete as of April 30, 2018.
Background on Project
In 2013, Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps said it was currently planning to build a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 1,320 MW in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. The plant was permitted in 2014.
Unit 2 postponed in 2017, planned for 2018
In July 2017 China's NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
On September 26, 2017, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects, containing 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). XPCC Hongxing Power Station Unit 2 was among the postponed projects.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2018: Construction resumes
Units 1 and 2 appeared on a July 2018 central government list of coal-fired units allowed to come online in 2018.
2019-2020: Plant commissioned
- Sponsor: Xinjiang Hongxing Power Gen Co
- Parent company: Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps
- Location: Hami (Kumul) Prefecture, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 42.3143, 93.6604 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1 & 2: 660 MW)
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Start year: 2019 (Unit 1), 2020 (Unit 2)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "十三师瑞虹煤电一体化工程获国家能源局批复 成为兵团首个参与疆电东送项目", 新疆生产建设兵团, 2013-03-18
- "新疆生产建设兵团十三师瑞虹煤电项目环境影响报告书", 新疆瑞虹发电有限公司, 2013-10
- "新疆兵团2015年重点项目公布：电力30余项(13个火电 6个风电)," China Cable, 2015-03-16
- "速度与激情——红星发电项目建设纪略," 中国网生活消费, June 16, 2017
- "新疆生产建设兵团红星发电有限公司企业简介," Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps Hongxing Power Generation Corp, accessed June 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "名单来了｜涉及11省共34台机组已移出停缓建名单！2018年分省煤电项目汇总表公布," 微能网, July 6, 2018
- "新疆红星发电2×66万千瓦机组项目1号机组投运," 12/4/2019
- "中煤红星电厂2×660MW全面投产！," 中国能建湖南火电, 2020/7/17