Yuzhnouralskaya GRES power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Yuzhnouralskaya GRES power station (Южноуральская ГРЭС) is a 747-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Chelyabinsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Yuzhnouralsk town, Chelyabinsk province. The new gas-fired units are on the west shore of the lake, about 2km to the northeast.
Background on Plant
The Yuzhnouralskaya GRES is a six-unit, 747-MW coal-fired power plant in Chelyabinsk province, near Kazakhstan and east of the southern Urals (the name "Yuzhnouralsk" literally means "of the southern Urals"). The plant was commissioned in June 1948 by the Soviet Council of Ministers. The first unit came online in April 1952, and the plant was fully online by 1959. The plant was originally constructed with 1,000 MW capacity, but that has since degraded to 747 MW. The plant primarily burns brown coal, but it is designed to burn natural gas as well. It is owned by the Third Generation Company of the Wholesale Electricity Market (OGK-3), a subsidiary of Inter RAO.
Proposed retirement of coal-fired units
In 2021, Inter RAO stated that it would decommission 747 MW of "inefficient capacity" at the Yuzhnouralskaya GRES power station by 2028, which would imply that all six coal-fired units will be retired at that time and replaced by the newer gas-fired units. In February 2022, it was reported that all of the coal-fired units at this station (with the total capacity of 747 MW) are expected to be retired in 2027.
The RAO UES 2006-10 five-year plan (from before the restructuring of RAO UES), which RAO management approved in January 2007, lists as a long-term project the addition of two 225-MW coal-fired units at Yuzhnouralskaya, with a completion date of 2010-12.
In May 2012, Inter RAO began construction on the first unit of Yuzhnouralskaya GRES-2 power station, a 400-MW natural gas-fired addition to the power station, located about a mile northwest of the original plant on the other side of the Yuzhnouralsk Reservoir. The project has since been expanded to two 400-MW gas-fired units, with an additional third unit to possibly be built in the future. The first unit went online in February 2014, and the second unit went online in November 2014.
It seems likely that these new gas-fired units superseded the original proposal for two new coal-fired units.
Plant Details for Existing Coal-Fired Units
- Sponsor: Third Generation Company of the Wholesale Electricity Market (OGK-3)
- Parent company: Inter RAO
- Location: Yuzhnouralsk town, Chelyabinsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 54.4551711, 61.2359047 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: Units 3-4: 2 x 200 MW; Unit 5: 83 MW; Unit 6: 100 MW; Units 7-8: 82 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1952-59
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Project Details for Coal-fired Expansion
- Sponsor: Inter RAO
- Coordinates: 54.47097, 61.20333 (exact coordinates of the GRES-2 expansion, which is located about a mile away from the primary plant)
- Status: Cancelled (built as gas-fired units)
- Gross Capacity: 450 MW
- In service: 2014
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Южноуральская ГРЭС, OGK-3 website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Южноуральская ГРЭС, Inter RAO website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Южноуральская ГРЭС, Inter RAO, accessed December 2018
- Группа «Интер РАО» ввела в эксплуатацию первый энергообъект в рамках реализации президентской программы модернизации тепловой генерации, Inter RAO, Dec. 20, 2021
- «Интер РАО» входит в парогазовый цикл, Kommersant, May 28, 2021
- "«Интер РАО» в рамках КОММод-ПГУ введёт 896 МВт на Каширской ГРЭС, выведя 747 МВт на Южноуральской ГРЭС". Peretok.ru. May 5, 2021. Retrieved Jun 16, 2022.
- "Группа «Интер РАО» и «НордЭнергоГрупп» договорились о совместной реализации проекта модернизации Каширской ГРЭС". Akm.ru. Feb 1, 2022. Retrieved Jun 16, 2022.
- Investment Program of RAO UES of Russia Thermal Generation Companies for 2006-2010 and Key Power-Generating Equipment Required by OGK/TGK for its Implementation, RAO UES document, Jan. 29, 2007.
- Южноуральская ГРЭС, Wikipedia, Accessed June 2021
- Inter RAO Launches Construction of New Power Unit at Yuzhnouralsk GRES-2, Interfax, May 14, 2012.
- Inter RAO Group Launches the First Power Generation Unit at Yuzhnouralskaya TPP-2, Inter RAO press release, Feb. 17, 2014.
- INTER RAO OAO Launches Yuzhnouralsk Power Plant, Reuters, Feb. 18, 2014.