Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine
The Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine is a proposed 4 million tonnes per annum opencast and underground mine project that is currently unallotted in Dharamjaigarh, Raigarh, Chhattisgarh, India.
In response to a right of information request in 2021, the mine is still listed by the Government of India as an active new mine project.
The map below shows the proposed location of the Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine Project in villages Taraimar, Bayasi Basti, Bayasi Colony, Dharma Colony, and Rupunga, Tehsil Dharamjaigarh, District Raigarh, State Chhattisgarh, India.
Background on Mine
The Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine project proposed a 3 million tonnes per annum opencast and 1 million tonnes per annum underground mine on a lease area of 1070 ha is located in villages Taraimar, Bayasi Basti, Bayasi Colony, Dharma Colony, and Rupunga, Tehsil Dharamjaigarh, District Raigarh, State Chhattisgarh, India.
The mine was first allocated to Bharat Aluminium ompany Limited for establishing the coal mine and a captive coal washery of 4 MTPA to meet the coal requirements of 1110 MW linked Thermal Power Plants (810 MW existing +300MW proposed) at Korba. The project secured the environment clearance for its development on 24 May 2012. 
The coal mine was cancelled by the Supreme Court on 24 September 2014 in the wake of coalgate scandal. The mine was listed for auction by the Ministry of coal in December 2019. Karnataka Power Corporation Limited and Goa Industrial Development Corporation Limited posted their bid for the mine. However, the mine was not allotted due to tepid response.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: District Raigarh, State Chhattishgarh, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 22.4333333, 22.4752778 Longitude 83.14111111111112, 83.18694444444445
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 3 MTPA
- Total Resource: 96.987 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 70.12 MT
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade D-F
- Mine Size: 1070 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast and Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:Environment Clearance for Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 24 May, 2012
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and resources
- Government of India, Ministry of Coal, Question No. 35 - "Opening of new Coal Mines", February 3, 2021
- Environment Clearance for Durgapur II Taraimar coal mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 24 May, 2012
- Order of the Supreme Court of India regarding allocation of coal blocks, 24/09/2014, India Environment Portal, 24 Septembr 2014, acccessed on April 7, 2020
- 6 New coal mines allocated, will generate Rs 15,000 Cr revenue: Ministry, 15 December, 2019; Indus Dictum site accessed on April 7, 2020
- Coal Block Summary