Çankırı Orta coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Çankırı Orta coal mine is a proposed surface mine, operated by Çalık Enerji, in Orta, Çankırı province, Turkey.
The captive mine will provide power to the 150-MW Çankırı Orta power station.
The map below shows the location of Orta district, the approximate location where the mine would be built in Çankırı province.
Background on Project
In December 2005, Çalık Enerji received permits to build a 150-MW mine-to-mouth coal-fired power plant in the Orta district of Çankırı province (with coal from Bereket A.Ş., which was planning on developing a lignite coal mine in the area). In September 2006, Çalık contracted Pöyry to work on the plant's construction. At the time, the plant's completion was scheduled for October 2009. However, while Çalık Holding's 2008 Annual Report mentions that planning for the project was ongoing, and while a 2008 news report mentions the project, beginning in 2009 there is no mention of the project in the company's annual reports. The plant would apparently be mine-to-mouth, with Çalık also mining lignite coal for the plant.
As of April 2018, although EMRA shows the preliminary license (granted August 2015) with an end date of 09.07.2018 its status is shown as "Sonlandırıldı" (meaning "ended"); but the Çalık website still shows that it plans to start constructing the plant in 2018.
As of June 2019 the project has been removed from the EMRA website and appears to be canceled, but is still listed on the company website.
- Owner: Çalık Enerji
- Parent company:
- Location: Orta district, Çankırı province, Turkey
- GPS coordinates: 40.626, 33.11 (approximate)
- Mine status: proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 64.4
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine size:
- Mine type: surface
- Power Station: Çankırı Orta power station
Articles and resources
- Çalık Holding 2007 Annual Report, p. 49.
- Çalık'tan termik santral, Internet Haber, Feb. 6, 2008.
- Pöyry Awarded Consultancy Contract for Thermal Power Plant in Turkey, Pöyry press release, Sept. 13, 2006.
- Çalık Holding 2008 Annual Report, p. 40.
- EMRA, prelicense ÖN/5677-4/03313
- "Çankırı-Orta Thermal Power Plant and Mine Site Project", company website, accessed April 2018.