Çebi Enerji power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Çebi Enerji power station is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Tekirdağ province, Turkey.
The map below shows the location of Marmaraereğlisi, the approximate location where the plant would be built in Tekirdağ province.
The EIA for proposed power station was submitted in 2013. In June 2015, Çebi Enerji began the environmental permitting process for the first 350-MW unit of the project. As of April 2018 the prelicense application is still shown as under consideration on the EMRA website. The second 350 MW unit has not been pursued. However, in March 2017, the company invested in a coal stock pile facility, indicating the possibility that a future expansion was still being considered. As of June 2019 there has been no further progress and the project does not appear on permit lists of the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA). It appears to be cancelled.
- Sponsor: Çebi Enerji
- Parent company:
- Location: Marmaraereğlisi, Tekirdağ province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 41.013446, 27.961648 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Detailed status:
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1-2: 350 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Imported
- Source of financing:
In Marhch 2015, Candan Yüceer, CHP PM Member Tekirdag Member of Parliament, expressed concern over the application for the production license for Çebi power plant. Concerns were expressed over harm to nature and human health.
In 2017, Önder Algedik published a “Coal and Climate Change 2017 report,” which discussed how coal plants, like the Çbei Enerji power plant, may cause “more irreparable damages” to Turkey in the future.
Multiple Turkish cities and towns had made applications for information about coal plant projects and their environmental impact, including the Çebi Enerji plant.
In February 2019, the Air Pollution & Climate Secretariat (AirClim) published a report by Fredrik Lundberg, an energy policy specialist in Sweden. He urged for the stop of production of coal power plants, including the Çebi Enerji plant.
Articles and resources
- "Çebi Enerji Santralı İçin ÇED Süreci Başladı," Enerji Günlüğü, July 5, 2013
- Tekirdağ`a 350 MW`lık termik santral yapılacak, Enerji Günlügü, 11 June 2015.
- "Elektrik Piyasası Önlisansları," EMRA, accessed April 2018
- "Tekirdağ'da kömür depolama tesisi kurulacak," Enerji Günlüğü, 4-3-2017
- Toolkit: Coal Power Generation and Health in Three Regions of Turkey; Çanakkale, İzmİr and Tekİrdağ, Health and environment alliance - Heal, January 2018.
- “It’s Time to Fight!”, Saray Gazette, Translated by Google, March 3, 2015.
- “Coal and Climate Change 2017 Report”, Önder Algedik, Translated by Google, December 9, 2017.
- “Response to 56 Applications to Obtain Information from MoEU”, Ecology Collective, Translated by Google, April 9, 2018.
- “Phasing out coal in Europe by 2025”, AirClim, Feburary 2019.
Related GEM.wiki articles