İÇDAŞ Biga power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
İÇDAŞ Biga power station and İÇDAŞ Bekirli power station are two adjacent coal-fired power plants in Çanakkale province, Turkey.
The undated satellite photo below shows İÇDAŞ Biga power station, which is near Değirmencik village, Biga district, Çanakkale province.
The original power station consists of a 3 x 135 MW subcritical coal plant, built in 2005-2009. It is also known as İÇDAŞ Değirmencik power station. In December 2007, industrial conglomerate İÇDAŞ received permits to build a three-unit, 405-MW coal-fired power plant as part of the larger İÇDAŞ Değirmencik Integrated Plant that it was planning to build in Çanakkale province — along with a shipyard, port facilities, and a steel mill. Although the plant was licensed at 405 MW, it was built at 389 MW.
After the plant was given an environmental award by the Turkish government in September 2013, the decision was mocked by the local news media, who pointed out the significant increase in pollution in the area since the plant was built, resulting in fish die-offs in the area.
Project Details for İÇDAŞ Biga power station
- Sponsor: İÇDAŞ Çelik Enerji Tersane ve Ulaşım Sanayi A.Ş. (İÇDAŞ Shipyards Steel Energy and Transportation Industries, Inc.)
- Parent company:
- Location: Değirmencik village, Biga district, Çanakkale province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.44380, 27.13067 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 405 MW
- In service: 2005 (unit 1), 2009 (units 2-3)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
- WRI ID: WRI1018714
- EBC ID: TR-8
İÇDAŞ Biga-2 power station
In April 2007, industrial conglomerate İÇDAŞ received permits to build the two-unit, 1,200-MW, US$1 billion Çanakkale Biga-2 coal-fired power station. The first 600-MW unit went online in December 2011; the second unit was originally scheduled to go online in the last quarter of 2013, but was in fact brought online in May 2015. Attempts by environmental groups in 2007-10 to stop the plant's permitting process were unsuccessful.
Funding for the project was provided by İş Bankası.
The undated satellite photo below shows İÇDAŞ Bekirli power station, which is near Bekirli village, Biga district, Çanakkale province.
Project Details for İÇDAŞ Bekirli
- Sponsor: İÇDAŞ Elektrik Üretim ve Yatırım A.Ş.
- Parent company: İÇDAŞ Çelik Enerji Tersane ve Ulaşım Sanayi A.Ş. (İÇDAŞ Shipyards Steel Energy and Transportation Industries, Inc.)
- Location: Bekirli village, Biga district, Çanakkale province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.39953, 27.04973 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Detailed status:
- Gross capacity: 1,200 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- In service: 2011 (Unit 1), 2015 (Unit 2)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing: İş Bankası
- WRI ID: WRI1018706
- EBC ID: TR-4
Articles and resources
- "Icdas Bekirli Thermal Power Plant," Icdas website, accessed June 2016
- Toolkit: Coal Power Generation and Health in Three Regions of Turkey; Çanakkale, İzmİr and Tekİrdağ, Health and environment alliance - Heal, January 2018.
- İÇDAŞ Sustainability Report 2011-2012, p. 9 & others, accessed Mar. 2014.
- 13 ödüllü çevre kirliliği, Evrensel, Jan. 7, 2014.
- İÇDAŞ şirketinin Çanakkale/Biga ve çevresinde yarattığı kirlilikle ilgili soru önergeleri hk., Ege Habercisi, Jan. 17, 2014.
- İÇDAŞ Süperkritik Bekirli Termik Santrali'nin İkinci Ünitesi'ni açtı, Deniz Haber, 22 May 2015.
- Bekirli Thermal Power Station 1. Unit, İÇDAŞ website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- İÇDAŞ Sustainability Report 2011-2012, accessed Mar. 2014.
- Çanakkale Çevre Platformu website, accessed Mar. 2014.
- "Coal & Climate Change - 2017" (PDF). August 2017.