88 Strip Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
88 Strip is a surface coal mining operation in Wise County, Virginia, operated by Paramont Coal Company and owned by Alpha Natural Resources.
This is an approximate location of the mine.
88 strip mine produced 0.67 million tons and employed 129 workers in 2020. 
- MSHA ID: 4407163
- Operator: Paramont Coal Company Virginia LLC
- Controller: Alpha Natural Resources LLC
- County: Wise
- State: VA
- Latitude: 37.08
- Longitude: -82.16
- Production (short tons): 669,357 (2020)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 129
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- U.S. department of labor, MSHA, Mine Data Retrieval System, accessed June 6 2021
- (2020) Annual Report Pursuant To Section 13 Or 15(D) Of The Securities Exchange Act Of 1934 for The Fiscal Year Ended December 31, 2020 . U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Report.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration