"Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. and Bowater Incorporated, two leaders in the forest products industry, have joined forces to become AbitibiBowater: a stronger, more globally competitive business."  AbitibiBowater is Canada’s largest logging company and the world’s largest newsprint manufacturer, but has been on the brink of financial collapse since March 2009. While AbitibiBowater owns or operates 24 pulp and paper facilities and 24 saw mills, five wood products facilities and 32 recycling facilities in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and South Korea, it is $6 billion dollars in debt as of September 2009.
Discover Which Corporations are the Biggest Violators of Environmental, Health and Safety Laws in the United States
Violation Tracker is the first national search engine on corporate misconduct covering environmental, health, and safety cases initiated by 13 federal regulatory agencies. Violation Tracker is produced by the Corporate Research Project of Good Jobs First. Click here to access Violation Tracker.
Existing Coal Plants
|Plant Name||State||Year(s) Built||Capacity|
|Bowater Coosa Pines Power Plant||AL||1942||20 MW|
|Calhoun Cogeneration Plant||AL||1954||19 MW|
- Bowater Coosa Pines Power Plant (also known as U.S. Alliance Coosa Pines Power Plant) provides power to AbitibiBowater's Coosa Pines newsprint mill.
- Calhoun Cogeneration Plant supplies power to AbitibiBowater's Calhoun newsprint manufacturing facility.
Accessed June 2009: 
- John Q. Anderson
- Jacques Bougie
- William E. Davis
- Richard B. Evans
- Anthony F. Griffiths
- Ruth R. Harkin
- Lise Lachapelle
- Gary J. Lukassen
- David J. Paterson
- Paul Rivett
- John A. Rolls
- John W. Weaver
- Togo D. West, Jr.
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Abitibi Snowflake Power Plant
- Calhoun Cogeneration Plant
- Bowater Coosa Pines Power Plant
- Dick Evans (Rio Tinto)
- Home, AbitibiBowater, accessed June 2, 2009.
- Ross Marowits "AbitibiBowater finalizes $615-million deal to sell Quebec hydro asset", The Canadian Press, September 4, 2009.
- Directors, AbitibiBowater, accessed June 2, 2009.