Access South Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Access South Gas Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline runs from Uniontown, Pennsylvania to Kosciusko, Mississippi.
- Operator: Texas Eastern Transmission
- Current capacity: 622 million cubic feet per day
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: about 800 miles
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2017
The Access South gas pipeline delivers natural gas from the Appalachian region to Southeast U.S. markets. The pipeline is 100% owned by Texas Eastern Transmission, L.P., a subsidiary of Enbridge, and it shares certain facilities with Adair Southwest and Lebanon Extension. Adair Southwest, Access South, and Lebanon Extension comprise 16 miles of relay or pipeline looping on Texas Eastern Transmission's existing rights of way, additional compression at existing stations, converting three existing receipt meters to bidirectional flow and other modifications to existing facilities.
Texas Eastern Transmission submitted an application for the project to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) on 8 October 2015 (FERC docket number CP16-3-000). On December 21, 2016, FERC issued the Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity, granting the necessary permit for the project to move forward.
The pipeline became operational in November 2017.
A septet of regional environmental organizations opposed the project. The environmental organizations asked FERC to prepare a more extensive programatic environmental impact statement rather than a less comprehensive environmental assessment proposed by Texas Eastern Transmission. The groups include Allegheny Defense Project, Buckeye Forest Council, Center for Biological Diversity, FreshWater Accountability Project, Heartwood, Kentucky Heartwood, and Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition.
Articles and resources
- Erica Jackson, Access South Project, Spectra Energy, accessed February 2019
- National Energy and Petrochemical Map , FracTracker, February 28, 2020
- Access South Project, Enbridge, accessed November 2017
- Tetco Gets FERC OK to Ramp Appalachia-Focused Adair Southwest, Access South, NGI's Daily Gas Price Index, 1 Nov. 2017
- Three Tetco proposals for Marcellus, Utica pipes targeted by environmental groups, NGI's Daily Gas Price Index, 14 Sep. 2015