Açu power project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Brazil and coal|
The Açu power project is a proposed 2,100 MW coal-fired power station which would be based on imported coal and located in the Açu Super Port near São João da Barra, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil. A proposed Phase II to this project would involve construction of an adjacent 3,300 MW thermal gas plant.
The map below shows São João da Barra, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Brazil's MPX Energia SA (now Eneva) received initial approval for the plant in 2008. However, the plant was passed over in favor of lower-cost competitors at Brazil's August 2013 EPE energy auction, and in October 2013 the Brazilian environmental authority INEA revoked a request to renew the plant's license, partly due to delays in development of port and "mineroduct" facilities that were crucial for the plant's success, and partly due to tougher state and federal laws regulating greenhouse gas emissions.
In March 2014 Valor Económico reported that Eneva remained interested in pursuing a coal- and natural gas-fired power project at the Açu port, but in September 2014 port operator Prumo Logística (formerly LLX) revoked its contract with Eneva, citing Eneva's failure to honor contractual conditions. In April 2015, Prumo Logística entered into a new agreement with the Bolognesi group for construction of a natural gas-fired plant at the Açu Super Port. Eneva sought judicial intervention, and in July 2015 the Second Circuit Court of São João da Barra issued an injunction calling for INEA to reconsider its revocation of Eneva's license to operate at the port.
- Sponsor: Eneva (formerly MPX)
- Parent company: E.ON
- Location: Porto do Açu, São João da Barra, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -21.6368446, -41.0484428 (approximate)
- Unit 1: Cancelled
- Unit 2: Cancelled
- Unit 3: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity:
- Unit 1: 700MW
- Unit 2: 700MW
- Unit 3: 700MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Inea suspende licença para UTE a carvão da MPX no Açu,", Blog do Roberto Moraes, October 2013.
- "LLX tem mais uma perda no Porto do Açu,", Portos e Navios, October 18, 2013.
- "GE rescinde contrato com Prumo sobre unidade no porto do Açu,", Valor Económico, September 12, 2014.
- "Eneva obtém decisão em briga com Prumo,", Valor Económico, July 21, 2015.