Adriatic LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Adriatic LNG Terminal is an offshore LNG terminal off the coast of Rovigo Province, Italy, in the Adriatic Sea.
The map below shows the location of the terminal, 14 km off the coast of Rovigo Province, Veneto Region.
- Owner: Terminale GNL Adriatico Srl
- Parent: ExxonMobil (46.35%), Qatar Petroleum (46.35%), Edison (7.3%)
- Location: 14 km off the coast of Rovigo Province, Veneto Region, Italy
- Coordinates: 45.091667, 12.586111 (exact)
- Capacity: 5.6 mtpa
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2009
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Adriatic LNG Terminal is an offshore liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal, 14 km off the coast of Rovigo Province, Italy. Construction began in Spain in May 2005, and was conducted by a consortium of nine firms; the terminal was towed into place in 2008, and brought into service in October 2009. It is connected by pipeline to a metering station in Cavarzere.
As of June 2017, Italian gas group Snam, controlled by state lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti, was looking to buy Edison's 7.3% stake in the terminal and in the gas pipeline that connects it to Italy's gas transmission backbone. As of April 2020, it appears that ownership hasn't changed.
Opposition groups have cited the low utilization rates of Italy's operating LNG terminals to call into question the necessity of such extensive LNG infrastructure in the country. According to Food and Water Europe's 2019 profile on Italy's gas use, "Between January 2012 and March 2019 all Italian LNG terminals were used at only ~31% of their capacity."
Articles and resources
- 2020 World LNG Report, page 125, International Gas Union, April 27, 2020
- The LNG Industry: Annual Report 2020, page 38, International Group of Liquefied Natural Gas Importers, accessed April 29, 2020
- Adriatic Rovigo LNG Terminal, Wikipedia, accessed April 2017.
- Adriatic LNG website, accessed July 2017.
- Adriatic Rovigo LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed July 2017.
- Rovigo Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal, Politecnico di Milano presentation, accessed July 2017.
- Snam in exclusive talks to buy LNG terminal stake from Edison, Reuters, 20 June 2017.
- Italy Food and Water Europe, accessed December 5, 2019