Ain Sokhna IWPP power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor project.|
|Report an error|
Ain Sokhna IWPP power station is a cancelled 457-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in As Suways Governorate, Egypt.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station in Ain Sokhna, As Suways Governorate, Egypt.
According to desalination.biz, Hyflux, a water industry company based in Singapore "secured a letter of intent for an engineering, procurement, and construction contract on an integrated power and desalination plant at Ain Sokhna in 2016. The status of the project changed to build, own, operate in January 2017" at the request of the General Authority for Suez Canal Economic Zone.
The contract covers a 475 MW gas-fired power station and 150,000m3/d desalination plant, and a 25-year operations and maintenance contract. The reported price tag was $500 million." The article also says that the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is loaning $354 million to Egypt for the project.
- Sponsor: Hyflux
- Parent company: General Authority Suez Canal Economic Zone
- Location: Ain Sokhna, As Suways Governorate, Egypt
- Coordinates: 29.6725, 32.3370 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (cancelled): 457 MW
- Combined-cycle unit: 457 MW (no start-up date)
Articles and Resources
- Tom Freyberg Hyflux to deliver Ain Sokhna IWWP under BOT/BOO Water World Magazine, Janurary 11, 2017
- Desalination.biz Hyflux to deliver Suez Canal project as BOO not EPC water desalination + reuse Jan, 9, 2017
- Desalination.biz EBRD pledges €300 million for Ain Sokhna, Egypt, desalination project water desalination + reuse Dec, 7, 2017
- Singapore’s distressed Hyflux faces court hearing on liquidation, The Edge Markets, Jul 12, 2021
- Commentary: The fall of once-great Hyflux, a unicorn in the Singapore story, Channel News Asia, Mar 8, 2019