Almaty-1 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Kazakhstan and coal.|
Almaty-1 power station (also known as АлЭС ТЭЦ-1 имени Б. Оразбаева, АО "АлЭС" Алматинская ТЭЦ - 1, Almaty Heat Electro Central 1, Almaty HEC 1, and Alma-Ata Central Power Plant) is a 120-megawatt (MW) gas-fired combined heat and power station in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Originally a coal-fired power plant, Almaty-1 converted to natural gas fuel in 2017.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Almaty, Zhetysu district, Almaty Region, Kazakhstan.
New announced gas-fired unit
In April 2021, Samruk-Energo JSC noted a potential 200-250 MW gas unit expansion at the site because Almaty-1 power station has the needed infrastructure to expand: free space, an operating gas transmission system, and power grid facilities for generating electrical power. The application for the approval of technical design for the project is expected to be submitted by Q3 2022.
- Sponsor: JSC "Almaty Power Plants" (JSC "AlES")
- Parent company: Samruk-Kazyna SWF JSC
- Location: Almaty, Zhetysu district, Almaty Region, Kazakhstan
- Coordinates: 43.2813, 76.9306 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 120 MW
- Gross generating capacity (announced): 250 MW
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 120 MW
- Unit 9: Bituminous coal-fired subcritical, 60 MW (start-up in 1970, converted to gas in 2017)
- Unit 10: Bituminous coal-fired subcritical, 60 MW (start-up in 1971, converted to gas in 2017)
Articles and Resources
- "АЛМАТИНСКАЯ ТЭЦ-1 ИМЕНИ Б.ОРАЗБАЕВА," АО «АлЭС», accessed June 11, 2021
- Kazakhstan Natural Gas Investment Strategy Study - Volume 2 - Report No. 199b/97, UNDP ESMAP, Dec 1997
- "Almaty 1 Coal Power Plant," Industry About, accessed June 11, 2021
- "Самрук-Энерго переведет на газ все свои ТЭЦ в г. Алматы," Energy Base, October 13, 2020
- "Глава «Самрук-Энерго»: Алматинская ТЭЦ-2 снизит выбросы в несколько раз," Tag News, April 26, 2021
- "Завершается работа над ТЭО газификации Алматинской ТЭЦ-2". Energybase.ru. Sep 16, 2021. Retrieved May 24, 2022.
- ИСТОРИЯ РАЗВИТИЯ КОМПАНИИ, Almaty power plants, accessed Jun 29, 2021
- Transition of Almaty CHP-2 to gas. Most important points in brief, Samruk Energy, Sep 25, 2020
- Portfolio Companies, Samruk-Kazyna, accessed Jul 7, 2021
- АЛМАТИНСКАЯ ТЭЦ-1 ИМЕНИ Б.ОРАЗБАЕВА, Almaty power plants, accessed Jun 29, 2021