Amadeus to Moomba Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Amadeus to Moomba Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Australia.
The pipeline runs from the Amadeus Basin in the south of the Northern Territory to Moomba, South Australia.
- Operator: AGIG
- Parent company: CKI Group
- Capacity: 117.53 million cubic feet per day / 140 terajoules per day
- Length: 950 kilometers
- Cost: Estimated minimum of AUS$1.2 billion (US$870 million)
- Status: Proposed
- Start year: 2024
In August 2020, Central Petroleum signed a memorandum of understanding with Australian Gas Infrastructure Group and Macquarie Mereenie to move towards a final investment decision on the pipeline in the second half of 2021. Construction would begin in 2022 and the pipeline would be commissioned in 2024. The pipeline would be less than half the distance of the current 2,250-km network, through which gas is piped from the Amadeus Basin to Moomba.
According to Central Petroleum's chief executive Leon Devaney, the promoters are eyeing federal government financing support for the AUS$1.2 billion project via the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility.
Arid Lands Environment Centre (ALEC) opposes the project, noting that the pipeline could transport as much as 90% fracked gas, according to a 2017 feasibility study commissioned by the Australian government. The group also notes the pipeline would cross remote ecologically and culturally sensitive regions.
Articles and resources
- Amadeus Gas Pipeline New pipeline to connect NT gas to East Coast Market, Energy News Bulletin, Aug. 19, 2020
- Central Petroleum, AGIG, and Macquarie sign MoU for AMGP pipeline, Hydrocarbons Technology (Aug. 19, 2020), accessed Aug. 5, 2021.
- Angela Macdonald-Smith, Plans for $1.2b missing link to unlock NT gas, The Australian Financial Review, Aug. 19, 2020
- Rick Wilkinson (Aug. 19, 2020), Central Petroleum, AGIG advance Amadeus-Moomba pipeline plan. Oil & Gas Journal, accessed Aug. 5, 2021
- Amadeus to Moomba gas pipeline March update, ALEC Blog, accessed Aug. 5 2021.
- Amadeus to Moomba pipeline, ALEC Blog, accessed Aug. 5 2021.