Amalgamated Yekona coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Amalgamated Yekona I and II OCP is a proposed mine, operated by Western Coalfields Limited near Marda Village, Tahsil Warora, Dist Chandrapur, Maharashtra, India.
In response to a right of information request in 2021, the mine is no listed by the Government of India as an active new mine project and appears to have gone into operation.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Marda village, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra.
Background on Mine
The Amalgamated Yekona I and II Opencast Coal Mine is a 3.44 million tonne-per-annum mine owned by Western Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India Limited. The proposed mining area is the Northern extension of Western limit of Wardha Valley Coalfield and located adjacent to Yekona village which falls in Warora Tahsil of Chandrapur District of Maharashtra State, India. Total area required for the project is 1701.32 Ha. Out of this about 254.15 Ha is acquired for Yekona I OC and 421.70 Ha is acquired for Yekona-II OC. Total 675.85 Ha land is acquired and additional 1025.47 Ha land will be acquired for proposed project. 208 households of Marda village, as per 2011 Census, are to be resettled and rehabilitated as per the R&R policy of Coal India.
Yekona-I opencast coal mine project was granted environment clearance (EC) for production capacity of 0.40 MTPA in a lease area of 265.50 ha on 17 October, 2006. Yekona-II opencast coalmine project was also granted EC for production capacity of 0.60 MTPA in a lease area of 414.56 ha on 17 October 2006. However, the Amalgamated Yekona I and II OCP is yet to receive EC from MoEF&CC. The Public Hearing for the Amalgamated Yekona I & II OC mine (production capacity of 3.44 MTPA (Peak) within area of 1701.32 ha) was conducted successfully by Maharashtra Pollution Control Board at the project site in Warora Tehsil, Chandrapur on 14th June, 2019.
- Sponsor: Western Coalfield Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Near marda Village Tahsil Warora, Dist Chandrapur, Maharashtra, India
- GPS coordinates: Longitutde 20.228333, 20.269444 Latitude 78.9166666, 78.975000
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 3.44 MTPA
- Production: 0.35 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource: 57.85 MTPA
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 1701.32 ha
- Mine Type: Open cast
- Start Year: 2021 (approx.)
- Source of Financing: Coal India
- Permits and Applications: Not granted yet
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Government of India, Ministry of Coal, Question No. 35 - "Opening of new Coal Mines", February 3, 2021
- Executive Summary of the Environment Impact Assessment and Environment Management Plan, Central Mine Planning and Design Institute, 6 June, 2016
- Environment Impact Assessment and Environment Management Plan, Central Mine Planning and Design Institute, 6 June, 2016
Related GEM.wiki articles