Amamapare Port power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Amamapare Port power station is an operating power station of at least 195-megawatts (MW) in Amamapare, Mimika Timur Jauh, Mimika, Papua, Indonesia.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Amamapare Port power station||Amamapare, Mimika Timur Jauh, Mimika, Papua, Indonesia||-4.827752, 136.839082 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3: -4.827752, 136.839082
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||operating||coal - unknown||65||subcritical||1998||2027 (planned)|
|Unit 2||operating||coal - unknown||65||subcritical||1998||2027 (planned)|
|Unit 3||operating||coal - unknown||65||subcritical||1999||2027 (planned)|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||PT Puncakjaya Power [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||PT Puncakjaya Power [100.0%]|
|Unit 3||PT Puncakjaya Power [100.0%]|
Project-level captive use details
- Captive industry use (heat or power): other metals & mining
- Captive industry: Power
Project-level coal details
- Coal source(s): Pinang coal deposit
In Feburary 2023, the President Director of PT Freeport Indonesia stated: "we will also replace our PLTU (steam powered) plants with PLTG (gas-powered) plants". The statement was connected to the company's plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2030.
As of October 2023, the coal-fired power station would reportedly be retired and replaced by a gas plant in 2027.
Articles and Resources
- Grasberg Open Pit Copper Mine, Tembagapura, Irian Jaya, Indonesia, Mining Technology, Accessed May 19, 2021
- P.T. Freeport Indonesia Solid-fueled Power Plant - EPC, Fluor, Accessed May 19, 2021
- Indonesia’s largest mining firm may drop coal for gas, Asia Times, December 3, 2021
- Bos Freeport Indonesia Ungkap Kendala Pasang Pembangkit EBT, Fortune Indonesia, July 7, 2022
- Tony Wenas Shows Off Freeport’s Use of Electric Train to Transport Ore, PT Freeport Indonesia, February 14, 2023
- Cut Emissions 30 Percent in 2030, This is Freeport's Strategy, Berita Satu, February 14, 2023
- Pensiunkan PLTU, Freeport Siapkan Investasi Rp15,86 Triliun Bangun PLTGU 265 MW, Bisnis ekonomi, October 22, 2023
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.