Ambatovy Nickel power station
Ambatovy Nickel power station is a 120-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Toamasina Province, Madagascar.
The map below shows the location of the plant, at the Ambatovy nickel mine, near Ampitambe, Alaotra-Mangoro Region, Toamasina Province.
Background on Plant
Ambatovy Nickel power station is a three-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 120 MW, powering the operations of the Ambatovy nickel mine. The plant was completed in 2011, and is owned by a joint venture of Sherritt International, Sumitomo, KORES, and SNC-Lavalin.
- Sponsor: Ambatovy Nickel Project
- Parent company: Sherritt International, Sumitomo, KORES, and SNC-Lavalin
- Location: Ampitambe, Alaotra-Mangoro Region, Toamasina Province, Madagascar
- Coordinates: -18.853, 48.313 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 120 MW (Units 1-3: 40 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 2011
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Ambatovy Nickel Project - Madagascar, SNC-Lavalin website, accessed Sept. 2015.