Amgaon coal mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Amagaon coal mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, in the village of Amgaon, in Surajpur, Sarguja, Chhattisgarh, India.
The map below shows the location of the mine.
Background on Mine
In 2009, the mine was proposed and named the Amagaon Opencast Coal Mine Project. The project received its environment clearance for 1 MTPA on 2 July, 2009.
The project uses 801.22 Ha of land. Out of these 231.52 Ha of land is under possession. Acquisition of remaining land is under progress. The number of families displaced is estimated to be 460.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), New Delhi has registered a case against the then general manager, South Eastern Coalfield Limited (SECL), Bishrampur in Chhattisgarh; the then senior manager (mining) and sub-area manager, both of Amgaon OCP, SECL, Bishrampur and director of private firm based at Hyderabad.
The case was registered under sections 120 (b) (criminal conspiracy) 420 (cheating) and 409 (misappropriation) of the Indian Penal Code and section 13 (2) r/w 13(1) (c) &(d) (criminal misconduct) of the Prevention of Corruption Act Act, 1988 for allegedly causing loss of Rs 9,63,29,156 (approx) to SECL, Bilaspur due to collusion among the accused in pilferage of coal from Amgaon OCP, SECL, Bishrampur area in Chhattishgarh.
The CBI in a statement issued on Friday said that the officials of SECL furthermore allegedly caused wrongful loss of Rs 20,00,000 (approx) for releasing the payment to the private transporter against the transportation of the coal of 51973.16 ton from quarry face to stock by the private trans-porter which was actually not transported. 
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Amgaon, Surajpur, Sarguja, Chhattisgarh, India
- GPS coordinates: 21.884318, 82.798650
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity:1 Million tonnes per annum
- Production: 0 Mtpa (2020)
- Total Resource: 25.47 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 24.20 MT
- Coal Type: Subbituminous Non-coking coal, Grade B
- Mine Size: 801.22 Ha
- Mine Type: Surface, Opencast
- Start Year: 2020
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:Environment Clearance for Amagaon Opencast Coal Mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 2 July 2009
Articles and resources
- Environment Clearance for Amagaon Opencast Coal Mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 2 July 2009
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme, site accessed on April 8, 2020
- ToI News Article, CBI registers case against former GM of SECL, others - ToI Article dated 13th December 2014
- Project Summary for Forest Clearance accessed on April 8, 2020