An Khanh power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Vietnam and coal|
An Khánh power station is a 100-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Thái Nguyên province, Vietnam.
This undated satellite photo below shows the plant site, which is in An Khánh commune, Dai Tu district, Thái Nguyên province. The plant appears to be a mine-to-mouth plant, with coal coming from the nearby Khánh Hòa coal mine.
The investment certificate was granted to the plant's developer, An Khánh Thermo-Power Joint Stock Company, for two 58-MW units, An Khánh-1 Units 1 and 2, by the Thái Nguyên province’s People’s Committee in August 2009. Ground was broken on the construction project in January 2010. The first unit was initially scheduled to come online in 2011, and the second in 2012, for a total cost of $160 million. The plant was the first in Thái Nguyên province to be initiated by a private enterprise. It appears to be a mine-to-mouth plant. The company has also signed agreements with two coal mines in East Kalimantan, Indonesia, in order to ensure ongoing supply.
Unit 1 was completed and connected to the national grid in April 2015. The entire plant was inaugurated in October. Units 1 & 2 are listed as 50 MW each under revised Power Development Plan VII
In July 2010, An Khánh Thermo-Power JSC submitted construction plans for An Khánh-2, an additional 300-MW unit at the same site, at an expected cost of $530 million. Vietnam Prime Minister Nguyễn Tấn Dũng approved the second unit in July 2011; the second unit's construction license followed in October. The second unit is scheduled to be completed in 2016. As of May 2015, work on An Khánh-2 was apparently still being held up, however. In the Power Development Plan VII, revised in March 2016, this project was listed as cancelled.
- Sponsor: An Khánh Thermo-Power Joint Stock Company
- Parent company:
- Location: An Khánh commune, Dai Tu district, Thái Nguyên province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 21.596912, 105.766609 (exact)
- Status: Operating (An Khánh-1 Unit 1); Operating (An Khánh-1 Unit 2); Cancelled (An Khánh-2)
- Gross Capacity: 100 MW (An Khánh-1 Units 1 & 2: 50 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- In service: 4/2015 (An Khánh-1 Unit 1); 8/2015 (An Khánh-1 Unit 2)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: An Khanh mine, Vietnam
- Source of financing: Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam, Bank of China
Articles and resources
- An Khanh Thermal Power Plant: Asserting Capacity, Viet Capital Securities news site, accessed Jan. 2014.
- Old Soldier on New Front, Vietnam Business Forum, May 3, 2012.
- Hòa lưới thành công tổ máy số 1 nhà máy Nhiệt điện An Khánh – Thái Nguyên, ETRC website, 27 Apr. 2015.
- "120 MW Thermal Power Plant Inaugurated," Nhan Dan, October 1, 2015
- DANH MỤC CÁC DỰ ÁN NGUỒN ĐIỆN VÀO VẬN HÀNH GIAI ĐOẠN 2016 - 2030, Ban hành kèm theo Quyết định số 428/QĐ-TTg ngày 18 tháng 3 năm 2016 của Thủ tướng Chính phủ (LIST OF POWER PROJECT IN OPERATION PERIOD 2016 - 2030, Issued together with Decision No. 428 / QD - TTg of March 18, 2016 by the Prime Minister)
- License Granted to Construction of An Khanh 2 Thermal Plant, Asian Power, Oct. 23, 2011.
- An Khánh Thermo-Power JSC website, accessed Jan. 2014.
- Kiểm tra hoạt động các cụm Công nghiệp trên địa bàn huyện Đại Từ, Thai Nguyen government website, 28 May 2015.
- Công trường Nhiệt điện An Khánh 1 hối hả những ngày cuối năm, PECC1 website, Jan. 6, 2014.
- BIC Signs Insurance Contract for An Khanh 1 Thermo Power Plant Project, Stockbiz, Jan. 4, 2012.