Andina-Hornitos power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Chile.|
The Andina-Hornitos power station is a 330-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Mejillones, II Region, Chile.
The photo shows the project in Mejillones.
In mid-2017, plant owner Engie enlisted Citibank's help in seeking a buyer for the Andina-Hornitos plant, in accordance with the company's move to a more renewable energy portfolio.
In February 2018 Chilean president Michelle Bachelet announced that Chile will phase out coal-fired plants, and Engie announced that it will close its coal-fired plants in Chile, Andina-Hornitos among them. Engie had previously announced that it would try to sell the plants to new operators instead of closing them. In June 2019, Chilean president Sebastián Piñera released a plan drafted by the Chilean Ministry of Energy detailing the decommissioning schedule for all Chilean coal-fired plants. According to the plan, Andina-Hornitos power station will cease operations no later than 2040, and plant owner Engie agrees to consult with the government every five years to renew details of the plan, subject to management and shareholder approval, Engie's legal obligations to meet environmental targets and supply contracted levels of power, and other criteria.
- Sponsor: E-CL
- Parent company: Engie (formerly GDF Suez)
- Location: Mejillones, II Region, Chile
- Coordinates: -23.0877066, -70.4074717 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity:
- Unit 1: 165MW
- Unit 2: 165MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service: 2011-2012
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Comienza operación comercial de Central Hornitos de E-CL, que aportará 151 MW al SING,", E-CL, August 5, 2011.
- "E-CL Opens Next-Generation CTA and CTH Thermal Power Plants in Mejillones,", GDF Suez, November 29, 2011.
- "Engie ficha a Citi para vender termoeléctricas en la II Región. Ofertas se presentan en julio,", Pulso, June 23, 2017.
- "Las temidas termoeléctricas cancerígenas ya están operando en Mejillones ,", El Diario de Antofagasta, December 1, 2011.
- "Con barricadas protestan contra las termoeléctricas y la contaminación en Mejillones,", El Diario de Antofagasta, December 22, 2011.
- Chile declares start of coal power phase-out, Climate Change News, Feb. 1, 2018
- Ahora sí: Trasnacional ENGIE cerraría termoeléctricas Tocopilla, Andina y Hornitos, El Ciudadano, Mar. 29, 2018
- "Plan de Descarbonización y Retiro de Centrales Termoeléctricas a Carbón en Chile, Anuncio del gobierno de Sebastián Piñera" (PDF). Chile Sustentable. June 4, 2019. Retrieved June 3, 2020.