Andrea Palladio power station
|Part of the |
Global Gas Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Andrea Palladio power station, also known as Fusina power station, is a 640-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Veneto, Italy.
Two coal-fired units were retired at the plant in 2021, and the rest of the coal units are planned for retirement by 2025 as part of Italy's coal phase out plans. Plant owner Enel plans to build up to 840 MW of gas-fired capacity at the plant site.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Venezia-Mestre, Venezia.
Background on Plant
Andrea Palladio power station was a four-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 976 MW. The plant was completed between 1964 and 1974, and owned by Enel. It had an oil-fired unit (unit 5).
In October 2017, Italy said it planned to phase out coal power by 2025, requiring Enel to retire the Andrea Palladio coal plant by 2025. Enel planned to replace the plant's four coal-fired units with a new natural gas-powered unit, totaling 840 MW.
In September 2020, Enel said that it was seeking Italian government approval to close the Andrea Palladio coal plant by 2021.
In October 2021, the Ministry of Ecological Transition approved Enel's plan for the Andrea Palladio gas conversion project. It was to be built in two phases, the first being a 560 MW open cycle phase followed by a conversion to become an 840 MW combined cycle plant. The conversion to phase two was required to take place within 12 months of the first phase becoming fully operational.
In 2021, coal-fired units 1 and 2 retired.
- Sponsor: Enel SpA
- Parent company: Enel SpA
- Location: Fusina, Venezia, Veneto, Italy
- Coordinates: 45.4314, 12.2468 (exact)
- Gross capacity (retired): 376 MW
- Gross capacity (operating): 640 MW
- Gross capacity (under construction): 840 MW
Articles and resources
- "Preliminary draft. Technical report," Italy Environment Ministry, accessed November 8, 2019
- "ENEL Andrea Palladio-Fusina Thermal Power Plant Italy," GEO, accessed April 2016
- "Italy to phase out coal by 2025," E3G, October 24, 2017
- Fusina thermoelectric plant (VE) "Andrea Palladio" - replacement of existing coal units with new gas unit, Italy Environment Ministry, accessed November 8, 2019
- "Enel plans to close 2 additional coal-fired plants in Italy by 2021," Enerdata, September 11, 2020
- "Enel, ok del Mite alla conversione della centrale di Fusina da carbone a gas | Staffetta Quotidiana". staffettaonline.com (in italiano). Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Sostituzione delle unità a carbone esistenti con nuova unità a gas presso la centrale termoelettrica "Andrea Palladio" di Fusina (VE) - Documentazione - Valutazioni e Autorizzazioni Ambientali - VAS - VIA - AIA". va.minambiente.it. Retrieved 2021-11-04.
- "Enel will shut down 336 MW of coal-fired capacity in Italy in August 2021," Enerdata, January 27, 2021
- Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) WOCMU6HCI0OJWNPRZS33 Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation, accessed January 2020
- "Environmental Impact Study". Ministero Della Transizione Ecologica. November 29, 2019. Retrieved November 4, 2021.
- "Fusina plant, Venezia | Enel.it". corporate.enel.it. Retrieved 2022-05-04.
- "La centrale "Palladio" di Fusina alla conversione: niente più carbone, un futuro a gas e sole - Gente Veneta". www.genteveneta.it (in italiano). 2020-08-03. Retrieved 2021-11-04.