Angul Smelter power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Angul Smelter power station is an operating power station of at least 1200-megawatts (MW) in Banarpal & Balaram Prasad, Banarpal, Angul, Odisha, India with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Angul Smelter power station||Banarpal & Balaram Prasad, Banarpal, Angul, Odisha, India||20.8490264, 85.1902199 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 9, Unit 6, Unit 8, Unit 1, Unit 4, Unit 11, Unit 12, Unit 2, Unit 7, Unit 3, Unit 10, Unit 5: 20.8490264, 85.1902199
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 9||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||2010||–|
|Unit 6||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1994||–|
|Unit 8||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||2009||–|
|Unit 1||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1985||–|
|Unit 4||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1985||–|
|Unit 11||cancelled||coal - subbituminous||250||subcritical||–||–|
|Unit 12||cancelled||coal - unknown||250||unknown||–||–|
|Unit 2||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1985||–|
|Unit 7||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||2002||–|
|Unit 3||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1985||–|
|Unit 10||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||2010||–|
|Unit 5||operating||coal - subbituminous||120||subcritical||1990||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 9||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 6||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 8||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 1||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 4||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 11||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 12||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 7||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 3||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 10||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
|Unit 5||National Aluminium Co Ltd (NALCO) [100.0%]|
Project-level captive use details
- Captive industry use (heat or power): aluminum
- Captive industry: Power
Project-level coal details
- Permit(s): Terms of Reference: 2012-11-01
Source of financing:
The power facilities at the Angul Smelter comprise ten units, each 120 MW.
Units 11 and 12
NALCO proposes to add two additional units (11 and 12) to the Angul Smelter power station, each of capacity 250 MW, "to cater the additional power requirements of the Smelter Plant." A terms of reference was issued in November 2012.
As of October 2016 the units have not received environmental clearance, and appear to be abandoned.
Articles and Resources
- "National Aluminium Co. Ltd.," Emkay, September 7, 2011
- Angul Smelter Coal Captive Power Plant India, Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012
- National Aluminum Company, "Captive Power Plant ", National Aluminium Company website, accessed November 2011.
- "Nalco to commission second 120 MW unit in Angul soon," Hindu Business Line, August 8, 2010
- "Highlights of 2010-2011," accessed February 2012
- "Appointment of Agency for carrying out Power System Study and Preparation of Report for NALCO’s CPP at Angul, Odisha," NALCO tender, Nov. 8, 2011.
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Nov 1, 2012
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.