Antwerp Power Station
Antwerp Power Station is a proposed 1,100 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Belgium.
The map below shows Antwerp, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
In November 2007 E.ON Kraftwerke announced plans to build a 1,100 MW coal plant at a cost of 1.5 billion euros. In its announcement, E.ON stated that it had "started the permitting process by submitting the 'MER-Kennisgeving'. In order to start commercial operation in 2014, E.ON Kraftwerke hopes to receive all necessary permits in the second half of 2009."
In 2008 E.ON stated that it aimed to begin construction in 2010 for "a new state-of-the-art hard coal power plant in the port of Antwerp."
A 2007 investment report on the proposed project stated that "Antwerp was chosen because the installations on the right bank of the River Scheldt can be supplied with coal ships of up to 130.000 tonnes. The new power plant will run on 2 million tonnes of coal per year. This means that coals will be shipped in twice a month."
In September 2010, the Flemish province of Antwerp declined to grant an environmental permit for the construction of the plant. In November 2010, E.on made appeal against this decision, but the appeal was denied.
In 2013 E.ON and the Antwerp Port Authority announced plans for a 150- to 300-megawatt biomass-generating power station in Antwerp, scheduled for completion in 2018. The Belgian chemical multinational Solvay will also be involved in the project.
- Sponsor: E.ON Kraftwerke
- Parent company: E.ON
- Location: Antwerp, Belgium
- Coordinates: 51.219216, 4.402882 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 1100 MW
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- E.ON Kraftwerke, "E.ON plans hard coal fired power station in Antwerp harbour area", Media Release, November 29, 2007.
- "The new hard-coal power plant in Antwerp," E.ON, accessed June 2014.
- "E.ON to build 1.1 gigawatt coal plant in Antwerp", Flanders Investment and Trade, November 29, 2007. (The original report was in the Gazet van Antwerpen newspaper).
- "Antwerp rejects permit to German E.on coal plant."
- "E.ON shocked as Antwerp coal plant blocked"
- "E.ON in beroep tegen afwijzing Antwerpse kolencentrale"
- "E.ON wins tender to build mega green power station in Antwerp port," expatica.com, June 12, 2013.