|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Aquila mine is an underground mine, operated by Anglo American, as part of the Capcoal Mining Complex, located 16.5 kilometers southwest from Middlemount, Queensland, Australia.
The mine closed in 2009, but in 2019, Anglo American began plans to reopen with expansion.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The Aquila mine began operating as a bord and pillar operation in the Capcoal Mining Complex 2005. In March 2009, the mine shut down due to the global financial crisis. Operations recommenced in August 2010 but the mine was once again placed under care and maintenance in July 2013.
In July 2019, Anglo American decided to prepare the mine for production again. This time, it would be a longwall extraction system and one of the most “technologically advanced underground mines in the world”, according to the company’s Tyler Mitchelson. Development work was expected to begin in September 2019 with production beginning in early 2022, with the total capital cost expected to be $226 million.
By bringing the Aquila mine out of care and maintenance and into production, the Capcoal Mining Complex’s operation will be extended another 6 years, until 2028.
- Sponsor: Mastermyne Ltd.
- Parent Company: Anglo American plc (70%) and Mitsui & co. (30%)
- Location: 16.5 km SW from Middlemount, Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -22.990997, 148.580506 (approximate)
- Status: preparing to return to operation in 2022 
- Production Capacity: 3.5 mtpa 
- Total Resource: 45.2 mt
- Mineable Reserves: 38 mt
- Coal type: metallurgical
- Mine Size:
- Mine Depth:70-280 m (170 m average)
- Mine Type: underground
- Start Year: 2005
- Source of Financing:
- "AQUILA LONGWALL PROJECT", Anglo American website, May 2014
- Daniel Gleeson, "Anglo approves development of ‘technologically advanced’ Aquila coal mine" International Mining, July 25, 2019
- Lou Caruana,"Aquila longwall on track to start in 2022" Australia's Mining Monthly, December 2, 2019
- "Aquila Mine (Secondary Support & Outbye Services" Mastermyne website, accessed April 8, 2020
- "Aquila Mine (Capcoal Operation)", Mining Data Solutions website, accessed April 8, 2020
- Aquila Project, Anglo American Company Website, accessed November 2020