Arad–Szeged Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Arad-Szeged Gas Pipeline is an international pipeline delivering gas from Romania to Hungary.
The 109 kilometer pipeline runs from Arad in Western Romania to Szeged in Hungary.
- Owner: Hungarian Operator: MOL Group Romanian Operator: Transgaz
- Current capacity: 4.5 billion cubic meters per year
- Length: 109 kilometers
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2010
The 109 kilometer pipeline which has a design annual capacity of 4.5 billion cubic meters is a project developed by the Hungarian operator, MOL Group, a unit of FGSZ Natural Gas Transmission, and Transgaz, the operator of the Romanian section. The European Energy Economic recovery programme (EERP) also supported the program. The Arad-Szeged gas pipeline is also the first pipeline project to be implemented under the EERP, which provided €17 million to the pipeline's construction. The pipeline is part of a larger project to diversify Europe's gas supply away from Russia. The pipeline connects Romania, which currently imports upwards to 30% of its gas from Russia, to the European gas transport system. The pipeline was inaugurated in 2010, but began delivering only small amounts of gas in 2013. The pipeline's supply will increase in 2016.
The Romanian section of the pipeline is 62km from Horia (near Arad) to Nadlac near Csanadpalota on the Romanian-Hungary border. It was divided into different sections during construction. The Romanian section includes one gas metering station at Horia and a compressor station at Jupa. It also includes an underpass at the Danube river.
The Hungarian section is 47km-long and runs between Algyõ and Csanádpalota. It was built at a cost of €32.4m and was completed in December 2009. This section includes a commercial metering station at Csanádpalota. Construction of the Hungarian section was completed in February 2010.
Articles and resources
- Arad-Szeged Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed March, 2018
- MOL GROUP. "2010 Annual Report" (PDF). molgroup.info. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- Arad-Szeged Gas Pipeline, Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed March, 2018
- Dana Verdes, Competing pipeline projects are a gas, gas, gas for Romania, Business Review, October 25, 2010
- Romania to start gas export to Hungary in December, Romania Scout, accessed August 27, 2013