Cleveland-Cliffs Burns Harbor steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Cleveland-Cliffs Burns Harbor steel plant is an integrated steel plant in Burns Harbor, Indiana, United States.
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Burns Harbor, Indiana, United States.
In July 2020, an explosion damaged one of the blast furnaces at Cleveland-Cliffs Burns Harbor steel plant (formerly ArcelorMittal Burns Harbor), and sent molten material out of the plant building, before setting it ablaze. No employees were killed or injured in the explosion. A video posted to social media showed that "the explosion at Blast Furnace D showered the mill with the shrapnel of large chunks of burning hot white refractory, the interior lining that protects the blast furnace shell from the super-heated temperatures within during the steelmaking process, suggesting that significant damage occurred."
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
- Owner: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
- Alternative plant names: ArcelorMittal Burns Harbor steel plant (predecessor), ArcelorMittal - Bethlehem Steel
- Location: 250 W. U.S. Highway 12, Burns Harbor, IN 46304-9745, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 41.631221, -87.143846 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1964 (age 56–57)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 5000 (BOF)
- Iron: >0 (BF)
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Steel product category: flat
- Steel products: hot-rolled sheet, cold-rolled sheet, hot-dipped galvanized sheet
- Steel sector end users: appliance, automotive, construction, converters, distribution, pipe and tube
- Steelmaking process: integrated
- Primary steel production equipment: 2 coking plants (began in 1983 and 1994, 82 ovens each, 39.11m3 each); sinter plant; 2 blast furnace (BF) (2645m3 and 2600m3); 3 basic oxygen furnace (BOF) (began in 1969)
Articles and resources
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. Completes Acquisition of ArcelorMittal USA, Cleveland-Cliffs, Dec. 9, 2020
- Blast at ArcelorMittal Burns Harbor idles furnace, Rye Druzin, Argus Media, Jul. 16, 2020, Retrieved on: Aug. 6, 2020
- Explosion hits ArcelorMittal's Burns Harbor plant; official says stove dome failure to blame, Lauren Cross and Joseph S. Pete, Jul. 16, 2020, Updated Aug. 5, 2020, Retrieved on: Aug. 6, 2020
- Burns Harbor, ArcelorMittal, Retrieved on: Aug. 6, 2020
- Burns Harbor Brochure, ArcelorMittal, Retrieved on: Aug. 6, 2020
- Fact Book 2019, ArcelorMittal, 2020
- 2020 AIST Blast Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020
- Fact Book 2018, ArcelorMittal, 2019
- 2020 AIST Coke Oven Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020
- 2020 AIST Basic Oxygen Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020