Argayash power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Argayash power station is a 195-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Chelyabinsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near the settlement of Novogorny, in Argayashsky district, Chelyabinsk province.
Background on Plant
The six-unit, 195-MW coal-fired Argayash power station is owned by Fortum. The plant’s six units were brought online between 1953 and 1986. The station is designed to run on both coal and natural gas; currently, each fuel source supplies about 50% of the total fuel needs of the station.
In August 2019 the Arbitration Court of the Chelyabinsk Region found that the plant had been illegally dumping effluents in Lake Ulagach in violation of the Russian Water Code. In February of 2021, the Argayash power station was found to have leaked two tons of oil into a nearby channel, which feeds into Lake Ulagach. A week passed before PJSC Fortum reported the incident to local authorities. The Chelyabinsk Environmental Prosecutor's Office later opened a case against PJSC Fortum and the heads of its divisions because of the concealment of the accident. That audit found that the leakage of oil products exceeded the volume of pollutants discharged into the water body permitted for the power plant from 9.3 to 26.8 times. According to prosecutors, power engineers tried to hide the fact of man-made pollution, untimely reported it and distorted the real picture of the state of the environment and natural resources. The Ural Interregional Directorate of Rosprirodnadzor imposed a fine of 20 thousand rubles on a legal entity, and 25 thousand rubles on officials.
- Sponsor: OJSC Fortum Russia
- Parent company: Fortum
- Location: Novogorny, Argayashsky district, Chelyabinsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 55.638704, 60.776117 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 195 MW (Units 1-3: 35 MW; Unit 5: 40 MW; Unit 6: 20 MW; Unit 7: 30 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1953-1955 (Units 1-5); 1986 (Unit 6)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Global Power Plant Database, World Resources Institute, Version 1.0.0, April 2018.
- Argayashsky CHP Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- Аргаяшская ТЭЦ, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Аргаяшская ТЭЦ, Ural Energy Museum, Accessed June 3, 2021
- «Фортум» обязали через суд получить разрешение на сброс стоков в озеро на Урале, znak.com, Aug. 27, 2019
- They were silent about this for a week, Znak, Feb. 1, 2021
- The prosecutor's office of the Chelyabinsk region opened a case over an oil leak into Lake Ulagach, Pravadurfo, Feb. 12, 2021
- Evgeny Anikienko, In the Chelyabinsk region, Ulagach lake may turn into a waste pond, Южноуральская панорама, Mar. 23, 2021