Aries coal project
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Aries Coal Project was a proposed opencast coal mine, planned by the private Canadian company Ram River Coal. It was set to produce 4 million tonnes per annum, near Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada.
As of October 2023, there have been no apparent updates to the project since 2019, and it is presumed cancelled.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed project.
Ram River Coal intends to ship the coking coal to two of the major western Canadian coal terminals; Westshore Terminals and Ridley Terminals.
- Operator: Ram River Coal
- Owner: Ram River Coal
- Location: Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 52.400401, -114.830002 (approximate)
- Mine status: Cancelled
- Production: 4 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable reserves: 183 million tonnes
- Coal type: Metallurgical, Bituminous
- Mine size: 20,000 ha
- Mine depth: 6 seams, 200-400 m
- Mine type: Surface
- Start year: TBD
- Life of Mine: 33 years
- Number of employees: