Astoria Ceyhan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Astoria Ceyhan power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Adana Province, Turkey.
The map below shows the project's site, near İncirli village, Ceyhan district, Adana province. The site would be very near to the border with Hatay province (which has apparently been misdrawn in the below map).
In October 2014, Astoria İç ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş. (apparently a shell company) applied for environmental permits to build a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 1,320 MW in Adana Province. The project would cost about 2 billion lira, or about $760 million. Astoria hopes to begin construction in 2017, and complete the plant in 2021. An environmental permitting meeting was held in January 2015, at which local residents argued against the project, stating that they already had enough pollution from existing coal plants in the area. Residents also protested the siting of the plant at the location of an historical canal that provided water to the ancient city of Aigeai.
As of June 2019 there is no license application for the plant, and it appears to be cancelled.
- Sponsor: Astoria İç ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş.
- Parent company:
- Location: İncirli village, Ceyhan district, Adana province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 36.90659, 35.96236 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1 & 2: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported (South Africa, Australia, Indonesia, Columbia, Russia)
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- ASTORİA İTHAL KÖMÜRE DAYALI TERMİK SANTRALİ VE KÜL DEPOLAMA ALANI PROJESİ: ÇEVRESEL ETKI DEĞERLENDIRMESI BASVURU DOSYASI (Environmental Impact Assessment Application File), ARMADA Eğitim ve Belgelendirme Danışmanlık Mühendislik Enerji Denizcilik, 22 Oct. 2014.
- Astoria Termik Santrali için ÇED süreci başladı, Enerji Günlügü, 9 Dec. 2014.
- Antik Su Kanalı Üzerine "Astoria Termik Santral Projesi", Yumurtalık Haber, 28 Jan. 2015.