Atakaş power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Atakaş power station is a cancelled power station in 2nd Organised Industry Zone parcel No. 633, Azganlık, İskenderun, Hatay, Türkiye.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Atakaş power station||2nd Organised Industry Zone parcel No. 633, Azganlık, İskenderun, Hatay, Türkiye||36.6971, 36.2042 (approximate)|
The map below shows the approximate location of the power station.
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||cancelled||coal - unknown||660||unknown||–||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||Atakaş Elektrik Üretim [100.0%]|
In February 2013, Atakaş Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim A.Ş. (a subsidiary of the Atakaş Group) announced that it would be applying to build a 660-MW, $300-million coal-fired power plant in the Second Organized Industrial Zone of İskenderun, in the southern Turkish province of Hatay. The proposal is currently under consideration by electricity regulators. Local reactions have already been negative, with allegations that Atakaş had deceived local regulators.
The EIA was submitted in October 2013. The project received environmental clearance in 2015, but has yet to receive a long term license. In June 2019 the plant's license was listed by the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) as having been terminated on December 18, 2017.
With no further progress in over four years, the plant appears as of June 2019 to be cancelled.
Court cases against the pre-licence
13 organizations are suing for the cancellation of the pre-license, including environmental associations, the Adana Medical Chamber and the Adana Bar Association. The 12th Ankara Administrative Court initially refused to consider the case but in 2018 was ordered to do so by a higher court.
Articles and Resources
- Takke düştü kel göründü, Demokrat İskenderun, Feb. 12, 2013.
- Yilmaz, Erdal. Termik santralleri 3 liyelim beyler, İskenderun Körfez Gazetesi, Feb. 8, 2013.
- "Hatay İli, İskenderun İlçesi sınırları içinde Atakaş Elektrik Enerjisi Üretim A.Ş. tarafından yapılması planlanan “Atakaş Termik Santrali Entegre (Endüstriyel Atık (Kül)) Depolama Alanı" projesi," csb.gov.tr, Aug 1, 2014
- "ATAKAŞ'a Termik Santral için olumlu ÇED Raporu," antakyagazetesi.com, Jan. 15, 2015
- Electrical Market Associates, EMRA, accessed June 2019
- Yerel mahkemenin İskenderun’daki termik için verdiği ‘Ön lisansa dava açılamaz’ kararı reddedildi, Demokrat İskenderun, Feb. 28, 2018.
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.