Athiyakurichi power station
Athiyakurichi power station is a proposed 2,640-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India.
The map below shows Athiyakurichi village, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
Background on Plant
NC Energy received to the India government for a terms of reference for a 4x660 MW coal-fired power station at Athiyakurichi village in 2011, In 2014, the company applied for a renewal of the terms of reference and reported on progress toward developing the project. The company reported that it had secured permission to draw water, NoC from the local village Panchayats, and 503 acres out of 1300 acres needed for the project.
CoalPost India provided the following details:
- The Power Project initiated land acquisition in the Villages Athiyakurichi, Kulasekharapatnam and Udangudi. The total estimated land requirement for main plant is 990 acres and land acquired till date is 503.18 acres. NOC from the Village Panchayat is received. DPR is under preparation by Lahmeyer India. In-principle approval to draw sea water from Tamilnadu maritime board has been received on 13-07-2011. COWI consultants had completed the study for locating the intake and outfall based on bathymetry study and the locations were identified. Application was made to District Collector for permission to lay the intake & outfall line and inspection was completed by the Chief Engineer, Water Resources Organization, PWD, Govt. of Tamilnadu. One season study for rapid marine impact assessment study was completed and report is under preparation by Indomer Coastal Hydraulics.
- Blend coal/Imported coal is the main fuel for the project and the Power Project is waiting for the coal linkage policy. The Power Project is in the process of establishing fuel linkage for imported coal from Indonesia/South Africa. The Power Project engaged the services of Barsyl for studying the coal transport feasibility. Barsyl submitted the report to the Railways and the approval is awaited. Airport Authority clearance has been received for stack height of 275 m.
The company received a new terms of reference in September 2014. In January 2017 the company received an extension of the ToR, allowing until September 15, 2017 for submission of final EIA/EMP reports.
As of January 2020 there have been no further developments, and the project appears to be deferred or abandoned.
- Sponsor: NC Energy
- Parent company:
- Location: Athiyakurichi village, Udangudi taluk, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu
- Coordinates: 8.43, 78.02 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Unit 1: 660 MW
- Unit 2: 660 MW
- Unit 3: 660 MW
- Unit 4: 660 MW
- Type: Supercritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Units 1-4: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, June 15, 2011; Terms of reference, India MoEF, 16 Sep 2014; ToR Extension," MoEF, 13 January 2017
Resources and articles
- Terms of reference, India MoEF, June 15, 2011.
- "Form - I Terms of Reference and Pre Feasibility Report of 2640 MW Coal Based Thermal Plant," NC Energy, February 2014
- "Athiyakurichi power project," CoalPost India, accessed October 2016
- Terms of reference, India MoEF, 16 Sep 2014
- ToR Extension," MoEF, 13 January 2017