BUMI Sangatta power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
BUMI Sangatta power station is a proposed 400-megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired power plant in East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia.
The map below shows the location of the Kaltim Prima Coal Sangatta mine, the approximate location where the plant would be built, in East Kutai (Kutai Timur) Regency, East Kalimantan Province.
Background on Project
In August 2019 PT BUMI Resources announced a plan to build a mine-mouth plant by its parent company Bakrie's Sangatta mine. BUMI stated that the plant would help provide power to the Indonesia's proposed new capital in East Kalimantan.
Earlier 2 x 100 MW Proposal
In July 2009, the Bakrie Group announced plans to build Bakrie Sangatta power station, a smaller two-unit, 200-MW mine-mouth coal-fired power plant near Kaltim Prima Coal's Sangatta coal mine in East Kalimantan. The project was scheduled to begin construction in 2010, and to go online in 2013.
In February 2012, Bakrie once again stated its intention to build the plant, after presenting their plans to the East Kalimantan governor. At that point, the project had already gone through technical studies and environmental assessment. Cost at that time was given as $350-400 million, and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) had been brought into the project as contractor. Bakrie planned to begin construction in 2013, and bring the plant online in 2016 but the plant was never built.
- Sponsor: PT BUMI Resources
- Parent company: Bakrie Group
- Location: Sangatta Mining Area, East Kutai (Kutai Timur) Regency, East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 0.605, 117.481 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Gross capacity: 400 MW (Units 1 & 2: 200 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Kaltim Prima Coal Sangatta coal mine, East Kalimantan
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- KPC Sangatta Mining Area, Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2015.
- Donald Banjarnahor, Sambut Ibu Kota Baru, BUMI Bangun PLTU di Kaltim, CNBC Indonesia, Aug. 30, 2019
- Bakrie Power Bangun PLTU di Kalimantan Timur, Tempo, 14 July 2009.
- Bakrie Power akan bangun PLTU Mulut Tambang, Antara News, 12 Feb. 2012.
- Bakrie Power-Kepco Investasi US$ 400 Juta, Bakrie Global press release, 15 Feb. 2012.