Bac Lieu Project power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Bac Lieu Project power station is a proposed 3,200-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in the Mekong Delta, Bac Lieu Province, Vietnam. It is also known as the Bac Lieu LNG-to-Power Project.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed power station in Hoa Binh District, Bac Lieu Province, Vietnam.
In November 2016, the project had been left out of Vietnam's revised National Power Development Plan for the 2011-2020 Period and Vision to 2030 (PDP7R) because the project could not get "the consensus of the local people and authority" to build it.
In 2018, however, the province agreed to move ahead with the project. According to NS Energy:
- "The People's Committee of the Bac Lieu Province signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Energy Capital Vietnam (ECV), a Vietnam-focused project development and asset management company based in the US, to invest in an integrated LNG-to-power project in May 2018."
The project will be built in three phases. Phase 1 will see a 1,000 MW combined cycle facility be commissioned in 2023. Phases 2 & 3 will be finished in 2027. It will also include a floating storage and regasification unit, which will supply the plant with its fuel.
In September 2019, An Australian company, LNG Limited, and a Singapore company, Delta Offshore Energy, formed an alliance with Vietnam’s Bac Lieu provincial government to develop the project. Reuters reported, "The deal comes at a time when LNG Ltd has been struggling to lock in sales agreements for its Magnolia project due to the U.S. trade dispute with China, which has been seen as a key potential customer for U.S. LNG projects."
In October 2019, the project still needed government approvals. But in December 2019, the Vietnam government included all 3,200 MW of the Bac Lieu LNG-to-Power Project in PDP7R, an "important milestone" in the approval process.
- Sponsor: Delta Offshore Energy
- Parent company: Energy Capital Vietnam
- Location: Hoa Binh District, Bac Lieu Province, Vietnam
- Coordinates: 9.2940, 105.7216 (approximate)
- Gross capacity (proposed): 3,200 MW
- Phase 1:
- Combined-cycle unit 1: 1,000 MW (to start 2023)
- Phase 2 & 3:
- Combined-cycle units 2 & 3: 2,200 MW (to start 2027)
- Phase 1:
Articles and Resources
- Bac Lieu LNG-to-Power Project, NS Energy website, accessed 3 Jan 2020
- Study on Gas to Power Project Value Chain in the South Vietnam Final Report, p. 6-44, Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry website, March 2019
- Rick Wilkinson, LNG Ltd., Delta Offshore sign deal for Vietnamese LNG-to-power project, Oil & Gas Journal, 16 Sep 2019
- Nikhil Kurian Nainan, CORRECTED-LNG Ltd to supply gas to Vietnam from Louisiana project, Reuters, 15 Sep 2019
- Rod Walton, New deal calls for Vietnamese terminal, CCGT plant taking U.S. LNG, Power Engineering, 16 Sep 2019
- Minh Do, Bac Lieu LNG-to-Power Project included in revised power plan, Vietnam Economic Times, 24 Dec 2019