Baganuur power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
Baganuur power station is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Baganuur area, Mongolia.
Two other power stations have been proposed at Baganuur, both associated with proposed Coal-to-Liquids projects. These projects are the Baganuur IGCC (POSCO/MCS) and Baganuur IGCC (Petrovis), both of which appear abandoned.
The map below shows the location of Baganuur power station.
A May 2014 brochure for the Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo refers to a 700 MW thermal power plant as one project for which international investment is being sought.
Bids for a coal-fired Baganuur Power Plant Project were held in 2014; the Government of Mongolia approved the Invest Mongolia Agency to supervise the Build-Operate-Transfer agreement, which was awarded to registered Mongolian company Baganuur Power LLC. The agreement duration is 25 years; four years of construction and 21 years of operation. A construction contract was awarded to China National Nuclear Corporation (China Nuclear Industry 22).
A groundbreaking ceremony was held on December 23, 2015. The project will include two supercritical coal-fired power generating units with capacity of 350 MW each. Total investment is estimated at US$1 billion.
According to a 2020 news article in news.mn, construction on the power station has stalled since 2018. The article said construction was planned to resume, although a date was not offered. The size of the plant may be reduced to 400 MW.
- Sponsor: Baganuur Power LLC
- Parent company:
- Location: Baganuur, Mongolia
- Coordinates: 47.745697, 108.355172 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 700 MW (Units 1&2: 350 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source: Baganuur mine
- Source of financing: US$1 billion in equity from Baganuur Power LLC
Articles and resources
- "Energy Mongolia International Conference & Expo", page 6.
- "Baganuur Power Plant construction commences," MAD, Dec 25, 2015
- "Mongolia’s first mine-mouth coal power plant starts construction," China Coal Resource, Dec 28, 2015
- "公司领导到蒙古国巴格诺尔电站检查工作," CPECC, 2017-09-24
- "蒙古国巴格诺尔2×350MW超临界燃煤热电联产电站工程【二次公告】," CNTCITC, 2018-08-07
- Alicia J. Campi, "Mongolian Mega Construction Projects Push for Energy Security, Regional Connectivity," Eurasia Daily Monitor Volume: 13 Issue: 23, February 3, 2016
- "Mongolia Third National Communication," UNFCCC, Oct 14, 2018
- GREEN Action Task Force, OECD, Sep 2018
- Ц.Сандаг-Очир: Багануурын станцыг цаг алдалгүй барих," news.mn, May 29, 2020
- "Strategic Infrastructure Planning for Sustainable Development in Mongolia". OECD. September 18, 2019.
- "Preview of Baganuur Coal-Fired Power Plant (700MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-09-21.