Bagdeva coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Bagdeva Coal Mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, in the village of Bagdeva in the Tehsil Katghora, in Korba, Chhattisgarh, India. on a mining lease area of 502.60 ha are
The map below shows the location of mine.
Background on Mine
The mine, also known as the Bagdeva Underground Coal Mine Project, has a capacity 0.76 MTPA on a mining lease area of 502.60 ha. The project received its environment clearance for expansion from 0.24 MTPA to 0.76 MTPA on 15 July, 2009.
In 2018, two officials of the South Eastern Coalfields Ltd (SECL) weresuspended in connection with the death of company’s three employees.
Senior Manager Radhelal Sinha and Deputy Manager (Mining) Omprakash Singh were suspended on Tuesday for alleged negligence, according to SECL Area General Manager (Korba) J P Dwivedi.
"The action was taken based on the probe report of the Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS) into the incident that took place at Bagdewa mines of the SECL, a subsidiary of Coal India Ltd," he said.
Both the officials were posted at Bagdewa mines located under Bakimongra police station area.
Mining supervisor Laxmikant Prasad (42), workers Ramadhar (35) and Ajay (33), were killed on December 16 evening after they allegedly entered into a non-functional tunnel, where the oxygen level was very low.
The probe into the incident by the DGMS pointed negligence on the part of Sinha and Singh. After the report was submitted to the SECL, action was taken against the duo, Dwivedi said.
Meanwhile, local police officials said investigation into the accident was underway and those found guilty would be booked soon.
Following the incident, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel had announced a compensation of Rs 75,000 to the kin of each deceased. 
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: village Bagdeva, Tehsil Katghora, District Korba State Chhattisgarh, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 22.455461, Longitude 82.517654
- Status: Operating
- Capacity:0.76 million tonnes per annum
- Production: 0.32 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 11.26 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade B
- Mine Size: 502.60 Ha
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:Environment Clearance for Expansion of Bagdeva Underground Coal Mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 15 July 2009
Articles and resources
- Bagdeva project summary for public hearing
- Environment Clearance for Expansion of Bagdeva Underground Coal Mine Project, MoEF&CC India, 15 July 2009
- 2 SECL officials suspended after mine mishap, News Article in The Pioneer dated 20th December 2018