Bahía las Minas power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Latin America and coal|
Bahía las Minas power station is a three-unit, 108-megawatt (MW) coal-fired plant located in Bahía las Minas, Panama.
The map below shows the plant, located in Bahía las Minas, Cativá, Colón, Panama
The plant was originally built and commissioned as an oil-fired plant in 1969, and was converted to run on coal in 2011.
In December 2018 workers at the plant staged a walk-out to protest the plant's possible closure in January 2019 when it was projected to run out of operating capital. The government of President Juan Carlos Varela subsequently agreed to contribute 19 million balboas and Grupo Celsia agreed to contribute 20 million balboas toward keeping the plant operating. However, in June 2019, Panama's executive branch ruled that Bahía las Minas needed to compete in the upcoming energy tender administered by state energy agency ETESA as a precondition for receiving the government's share of the funds. The energy tender took place in February 2020, and Bahía las Minas was successful in its bid for a short-term contract to supply energy through December 2022.
- Sponsor: Grupo Celsia
- Parent company: Bahía las Minas SA
- Location: Bahía las Minas, Cativá, Colón, Panama
- Coordinates: 9.379612, -79.821886 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: Unit 1: 34 MW; Unit 2: 34 MW; Unit 3: 40 MW
- In service: 2011
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Bahía las Minas Coal Power Plant, IndustryAbout, May 1, 2019
- Las Minas Bay Thermoelectric Complex, Technology University of Panama, Nov. 10, 2018
- Bahía Las Minas y Gobierno exploran alternativas, Las Estrella, Dec. 22, 2018
- Celsia y govierno de Panama acuerdan aporte en planta de balia las minas, Valora Analitik, Dec. 31, 2018
- "Los arrastres de Bahía Las Minas". La Prensa. August 4, 2019.
- "RESOLUCIÓN DE ADJUDICACIÓN - LPI No.ETESA 02-19 - ETESA - Empresa de Transmisión Eléctrica". ETESA. March 31, 2020.