Balaram coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The mine had plan for a 7 million tonne expansion to increase capacity to 15 million tonnes per annum. But in response to a right of information request in 2021, the mine is not listed by the Government of India as an active new mine project. It is presumed shelved.
The map below shows the approximate location of the coal mine, in Angul, Odisha, India with the Bharatpur mine, nearby, in the center of the frame.
Background on Mine
- Sponsor: Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: Angul district, Odisha state, India
- Coordinates: 20.962009, 85.178092 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production:5.234 Million tonnes (2020)
- Capacity: 8 million tonnes per annum (with 7 million tonnes per annum proposed expansion that is likely shelved)
- Reserves: 756.37 million tonnes
- In service:TBD
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mining method: Surface and Underground
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited,Bioprofile of Projects, accessed March 16, 2020
- Coal India, MCL Annual Report 2017-2018,accessed March 16, 2020
- Coal India, Annual Report 2018-2019, accessed March 16, 2020.
- Government of India, Ministry of Coal, Question No. 35 - "Opening of new Coal Mines", February 3, 2021
- Bioprofile of Projects, MCL website, accessed May 2015.
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited 2013-14 Annual Report, pp. 20-21.
- Coal Directory of India 2012-13, Ministry of Coal, 2014, p. 2.11.